Is this tree actually dead?

Mrdave

Question

Hi, next door chopped down their tree a month ago. The guy who did it told me he had put some stuff on the stump and it was dead. A couple of the roots were protruding through our garden. Since then they have started growing leaves and stems. The tree surgeon said the roots would just die but to me they look very active. Will they die? Or do I need to do something to them if so what? Or do I need an expert to come in and sort this? I've attached 3 photos.

I thank you in advance for any responses you may have.

20230429_171324.jpg

20230429_171335.jpg

20230429_171342.jpg

7 answers to this question

A few points to clarify:

1) Do you know what sort of tree it was? 

2) Are these new shoots 100% definitely arising from the roots?

Just that the stump looks like a conifer stump to me, and also there is no yellow discolouration around the edge of the stump that I would expect if glyphosate liquid was applied. If glyphosate was applied as "eco plugs" these would be easy to spot. If it was a conifer the roots would definitely not sprout, and also there would be no need to apply stump killing stuff in the first place.

I am wondering if it could have been a Willow? Not seen these sprout from the roots myself. Short of digging out the roots i would think your best bet is to apply glyphosate to the foliage on the new shoots.

• Like 1

Hi, the tree was not a conifer or a willow. Not sure exactly what it was but produced small yellow fruits a bit in the summer possibly some sort of cherry tree, around 25-30 feet high. I'm pretty much 100% certain these roots were from the tree which was around 7 or 8 years old and still growing taller.

Thanks for your responses. If I were to get some killer what stuff would I need and where would I go to get this. Do you think I should then try to saw through the stump so that the bit that is sprouting is no longer attached to the main stump? Thanks again in advance for any help offered.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the stump is in next doors garden and they would rather get the same people back in who apparently painted some chemical on it. The roots which are sprouting in my garden I will drill some holes in and put in what you have suggested. Thanks to all for replying.