How do you become a forestry timber cutter.

Hopefully FAW+F at the start of July, windblown trees at the end of May,

just need to sort out Large Trees and get some work experience 

it’s surprising how focused you get with some pointers in the right direction from people who know thanks for the help 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Roebus said:

Hopefully FAW+F at the start of July, windblown trees at the end of May,

just need to sort out Large Trees and get some work experience 

it’s surprising how focused you get with some pointers in the right direction from people who know thanks for the help 

EFAW+F is essential if you want to work with anyone who cuts on Forestry Commission land or any of the large estates who signed up to the FISA bullshit, you will be closing doors to yourself if you don’t have it, Mediarb run excellent and industry relevant courses (ex-military medic).

Personally I appreciate the fact that my fellow cutters are trained in first aid in case of an accident.

Wouldn't bother with the large trees just yet.

Get some time on the saw under your belt then do the medium tree ticket, you can do the multiple/interwoven wind blow ticket instead of the individual wind blow ticket when you hold medium, the multiple/interwoven  ticket is far better.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

EFAW+F is essential if you want to work with anyone who cuts on Forestry Commission land or any of the large estates who signed up to the FISA bullshit, you will be closing doors to yourself if you don’t have it, Mediarb run excellent and industry relevant courses (ex-military medic).

Personally I appreciate the fact that my fellow cutters are trained in first aid in case of an accident.

Wouldn't bother with the large trees just yet.

Get some time on the saw under your belt then do the medium tree ticket, you can do the multiple/interwoven wind blow ticket instead of the individual wind blow ticket when you hold medium, the multiple/interwoven  ticket is far better.

I’ve got my medium trees already, and the May course is multiple windblown and interwoven, sorry if I missed the full course title, but very much under stand getting in the saw time back to the work experience. Thanks for the information,

• Like 1

Whereabouts is your windblow course?

Many years ago when I was trying to get into forestry work I called all the FC offices.  None of them had any work, but some of them gave me the names of contractors working in their areas.  You could try calling them, along with any estates or management companies you can think of, they might be able to point you in the direction of someone who is good.  You could also try the FCA (Forestry Contracting Association) Directory, you can search geographically on that.

Remember there's quite a big difference between the ticket and the actual work, it's the old driving test analogy of actually learning after you've got the ticket.  Be prepared to travel, most cutting work is for contractors and they're seldom in one area for all that long, cutters working for big outfits might be on five sites in one week.  Keep stumps low, snedding tight, remember in timber cutting wood = money for the contractor, production and efficiency are important.  Know your log sizes and specifications.

Take any work you can get, it's all experience, all trigger time and if you can do the crappy mundane jobs they may eventually lead to where you want to be.  That's about all the useful advice I can think of, expect to be overworked, underpaid, never happy with the weather and always in debt with the local saw shop.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Roebus said:

I’ve got my medium trees already, and the May course is multiple windblown and interwoven, sorry if I missed the full course title, but very much under stand getting in the saw time back to the work experience. Thanks for the information,

I am pretty sure if you do the multiple windblown ticket you automaticaily get the single wind blown ticket as well, on the old numbers they where CS34 & CS35, and as 5thelement said above dont worry about the large tree ticket as yet, Then as spruce pirate says once you got the ticket you then start to learn,, every site and every tree is different and as for windblown all i can say is when you do the course listen carefully and take a mental note of every cut you get shown and use then as you was shown, there has been a lot more accidents with windblown over the years due to lads using the wrong cut in the wrong place, good luck with your course and stay safe,, 

10 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I am pretty sure if you do the multiple windblown ticket you automaticaily get the single wind blown ticket as well, on the old numbers they where CS34 & CS35, and as 5thelement said above dont worry about the large tree ticket as yet, Then as spruce pirate says once you got the ticket you then start to learn,, every site and every tree is different and as for windblown all i can say is when you do the course listen carefully and take a mental note of every cut you get shown and use then as you was shown, there has been a lot more accidents with windblown over the years due to lads using the wrong cut in the wrong place, good luck with your course and stay safe,, 

Thank you for the insight, it is very helpful, yes I am sure the course is combined individual and multiple.