Damaged muffler and cylinder

Muddy42

So this has happened, see attached picture.  The saw is a 1980s Husqvarna rancher 50 (the one with the white top). It has been in the family since new and so has a certain sentimental value.  It has been serviced regularly (until I took possession of it!) and has never really given any bother. It had adequate compression and seemed to run fine, even though the piston looked pretty bad. I know that the fuel line, carb kit, AV, kill switch and fuel filter have been replaced at some point.

The picture shows that the rear of the muffler has given way, allowing the internal muffler strut to poke out of the muffler and wear into the cylinder to leave very little metal holding the muffler on. Also some exhaust gasses must have also been escaping. The muffler, piston and ring definitely need replacing. The inside of the cylinder could be cleaned up, but I think the damage to the outside of the cylinder means I need a new one of those as well? I have identified aftermarket ebay Chinese muffler and P&C kit (45mm piston) for £45. I haven't used Chinese parts before and can't seem to find anything suitable from the more reputable aftermarket suppliers  - meteor etc.

Thoughts?muffler1.thumb.jpg.339ad7ab395d691e5d04d0b57db8a90d.jpg

45 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Another photo

E0213F80-9BC7-42FE-ABB2-7D361D2D2262.jpeg

Can't see inside the muffler but if it is just aluminum transfer you can clean that off with brick acid or similar . then a light hone and an OEM piston if you can get one or a decent AM one like a metier . Stick with the OEM cylinder rather than a Chinesium one .  

Without a picture of the inside of the barrel and the piston I cannot comment on the bore but the retaining bolt for the exhaust  will still hold so a piece of aluminium can be shaped to fill the worn void flush with the exhaust flange, muffler replaced with new or repair or flange fabricated and welded on and good to go.

• Like 2

The cylinder looks OK. Get a new piston for it with Meteor being best followed by Hyway and then VEC or Golf. Try to avoid the others unless you really have to use them.

You could try using a washer behind the cylinder exhaust flange and fabricating a plug to fill the hole as others have said.

You could probably get an aftermarket muffler to replace the worn one. That will be OK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, spudulike said:

You could try using a washer behind the cylinder exhaust flange and fabricating a plug to fill the hole as others have said.

You could probably get an aftermarket muffler to replace the worn one. That will be OK.

or if you know a good welder ask him to weld it and then grind flat . i have filled 1/2 inch holes by welding before .

It's more than possible that this easy tech fix could be used to reform the wear to your alloy cylinder casting without the need to scrap it replacing it with a piece of sh%te.

If you think that the bore is worthy of a second chance then why not try this repair? I have used HTS2000 many times to fix things that I would have previously considered to be scrap... at the end of the day maybe you only need a piston ring👍 although we've not seen the piston.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Macpherson said:

It's more than possible that this easy tech fix could be used to reform the wear to your alloy cylinder casting without the need to scrap it replacing it with a piece of sh%te.

If you think that the bore is worthy of a second chance then why not try this repair? I have used HTS2000 many times to fix things that I would have previously considered to be scrap... at the end of the day maybe you only need a piston ring👍 although we've not seen the piston.

Thanks. That repair is Interesting, maybe one could braze in a new piece of metal?

Yes I didn’t share a photo of the piston. Its horrible! Heavy scoring, skirt wear, a chip and too much movement in the cylinder.

Thanks again all. I have some work to do which may take a few weeks.  I will post an update.

• Like 1