Lovely old oak needs help

Oak Tree Poultry Farm

Question

We've just bought a bit of land and on the boundary is a lovely old oak tree that's just a little lopsided.

At some point it appears to have lost its top and as the site is quite exposed & windy, I'd like to have it checked over to make sure that a) it isn't going to drop branches on us and b) that it stays healthy.

Any suggestions, or recommendations for North Yorkshire arbs who could help, would be fab.  Thanks!

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-10 at 20.51.30.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2023-04-10 at 20.51.27.jpeg

7 answers to this question

Have also discovered an apple tree half buried in leylandii - trunk measures 1.5m in circumference and I don’t think it’s ever been pruned.  It’s going to need some attention but does something this neglected benefit from winter or summer pruning?

The oak measures about 2.6m in circumference. 

99366A8C-7526-4454-B53A-E5806037070D.jpeg

The shed is coming down so that’s not an issue.

I have just found out that the previous owner tried his best to kill the oak off! He hacked at it, tried to set fire to it and poured engine oil around the base. first job is going to be digging out some soil and seeing how badly it’s contaminated. 

On 24/04/2023 at 16:18, richyrich said:

Maybe they're both left without doing any pruning? Although I think oaks do tend to shed a few branches now and then. Bit difficult to say from the photos. The shed doesn't look to valuable?

I'd go with this too, if you prune them they'll be different but who's to say different is better?

I would cut the leylandii back away from the apple if anything, otherwise it will disappear under the shade.

• Thanks 1