Grab

woody paul

11 hours ago, swinny said:

Really light weight 48kg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Robustrack LOG GRAB GMR 1000 for 1.5–1.8 Ton...

Light but not the right thing for handling concrete or grubbing out. Really that kind of grab is designed to be mounted under a free swinging rotator. I do have one set up fixed for delicate jobs or use on the Sherpa but you have to be careful with it. 

@woody paul what size machine and what do you want to use it for?

3 hours ago, carlos said:

does a fixed grab on a small machine not put a lot  of strain on it if one picks up unbalanced timber?

It’s all a balance, but that’s why it’s important to spend a little more and get the lightest and strongest grab you can. 

This is the optimum setup for a 1.5-2t machine in my opinion. Intermecatto TG12SR5 with an angled hitch plate that can be turned 90 degrees. 

Even in the photo below the quality of Intermecatto vs something like JB is evident. You can also get a good look at the angle on the headstock. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3de17448b739419b3cd2f5d632656002.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woody paul said:

Will be on 1.5t, moving brash and feeding chipper but would be nice to turn it to remove hedge coppice brash. 

If you’re doing hedge coppice, you deffo want the angled headstock in order to be able to reach out in front of you.. Don’t be fobbed off by a dealer who only makes normal headstocks. 

Turning it with four bolts is child’s play with an impact wrench. 

Edited by doobin
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, doobin said:

If you’re doing hedge coppice, you deffo want the angled headstock in order to be able to reach out in front of you.. Don’t be fobbed off by a dealer who only makes normal headstocks. 

Turning it with four bolts is child’s play with an impact wrench. 

Yeah I got knobbled with that normal headstock. A right shit to get on the machine it is as its just sat there on top.... not laid back at an angle on back of a bucket..... made me change the opinion of who did it in fairness..... 

Measure and think twice cut once

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Yeah I got knobbled with that normal headstock. A right shit to get on the machine it is as its just sat there on top.... not laid back at an angle on back of a bucket..... made me change the opinion of who did it in fairness..... 

Measure and think twice cut once

That’s not so much the issue- you could just lay the grab down to pick it up. The issue is that you never need to grab your own boom- but you quite often need to do things like hold a pole out vertically! So optimise the geometry for this. 

Here’s me when my E27 first arrived- messing about optimising the grab geometry and sorting the bolt pattern prior to welding the hitch. Ah, memories!!

image.thumb.jpeg.ac07b8949a88bedbe4ca3e25cec20baf.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b87993c6c55b0db4878d12ff34b0ab41.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.711ab5bb9bc552d8d8809e0fc5137525.jpeg

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, doobin said:

It’s all a balance, but that’s why it’s important to spend a little more and get the lightest and strongest grab you can. 

This is the optimum setup for a 1.5-2t machine in my opinion. Intermecatto TG12SR5 with an angled hitch plate that can be turned 90 degrees. 

Even in the photo below the quality of Intermecatto vs something like JB is evident. You can also get a good look at the angle on the headstock. 

image.thumb.jpeg.3de17448b739419b3cd2f5d632656002.jpeg

only asking as we have a free hanging nonrotor grab that we fit to a hire digger, its just a bit of a pain as there is way of nudging any thing around, still its a lot better than no grab and digger.

10 hours ago, carlos said:

does a fixed grab on a small machine not put a lot  of strain on it if one picks up unbalanced timber?

I think it does, (or maybe I’m just a bad operator 😃)

Also ,I find it easier and quicker to pick up small sticks or branches with a hanging grab as it always hangs level.

I’ve only started using a fixed rotator, hopefully I will get better with practice.