Arb Approved

TREES.SERVICES

21 hours ago, Clutchy said:

Someone said to ask Paul at the AA so I was evidently refering to employees. 

I don't think I could of asked my question in a more genuine or less offensive way.

You weren't being offensive & my query was merely to ask whether you wanted ti hear from someone who knew as of today what was going on (if so, call Paul S) or someone like myself who has a little knowledge, probably out of date, but it would be stretching it a long way to say I was "from the AA". I hope I have stated the simple benefit raised by being an AA Approved Contractor - access to more work and some sort of prestige. Yes, I can hear the guffaws without you writing about them because clearly there are some sceptics and clearly there are some problems as described.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dumper said:

If you are in the doctors cartel and you **************** up they kick you out, if your in the AA they take tell you your a “naughty boy” and then take your money. 

Can anyone tell me if a AA member has been refused renewal due to poor quality work 

Yes. Ongoing.

On 16/02/2023 at 00:34, GarethM said:

Are you an ex UPVC salesman?.

You've still failed to actually have a convincing argument, except lament about how great this new quasi religious organisation is.

There are plenty of other similar schemes and trade organisations, until the quickening happens maybe scale back the one true religion overtones.

As you say there are various ways of advertising and promotion of business and you can pick whichever suits  you. And there are ways of improving the AA scheme. Clearly. Nothing religious about that. I'm an athiest (since 1972). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Excels1or said:

We're going down the ISA route. Granted, not the same "benefits" as the AA, but we've found Chas is sufficient for commercial clients, and domestic clients can be assured we're "accredited". 

What is the ISA route? If you are talking about accreditation for individuals, so be it, but that is of little use in promotion to a public (or other potential clients) who are unlikely to know what ISA is in the first place. The ISA has no means of promoting members in the UK.

18 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Your analogy doesn't work I'm afraid, in that the AA isn't a governing body. It's not only possible but more common than not to be qualified, insured and competent to work in arboriculture without the oversight of the Arb Assoc.

Quite so and that's the basic problem - how does Joe Punter tell the difference? As we all know any fool can buy a chainsaw and distribute leaflets in their village as gardener, landscaper, tree surgeon etc. How does the well established, competent tree surgeon differentiate themselves from them? Play the Google review game, fickle to some bright spark giving  you 5* every time? Trusted trader or the like? Works for some.

All I am saying is the AA Approved Contractor scheme works for me (as a client and as someone who advises clients who spend hundreds of thousands on tree surgery every year, nationwide (OK more towards SE England)). Interesting to know its faults and problems and things to be aware of - and I have had first hand experience of some, but in the absence of anything similar it's far better than trying to reinvent the wheel (some companies have their own schemes but capacity and monitoring are difficulties). 

• Like 1

Theres a phrase I've lived by.

If you can't explain something simply you don't understand the subject.

You are quite plainly trying to become a defacto trade union/regulating or licensing body, that's fine just don't sugar coat it underneath layers of BS.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Theres a phrase I've lived by.

You are quite plainly trying to become a defacto trade union/regulating or licensing body, that's fine just don't sugar coat it underneath layers of BS.

What do you actually do for a living?  

Apart from taking umbridge and arguing with strangers on an Arb Forum?

• Haha 1

Arguing on arb forum is more a part time hobby, if you can't argue your position either way your just standing in line shouting yes sir.

Question the reasons behind everything and speak in plain English, thus avoiding Pierrepoint.

Electrical engineering, farming and semi professional firewood spoiler.

If AA want to do what I think they're aiming for, they will require a HETAS style government intervention.

Edited by GarethM

2 hours ago, GarethM said:

That's not true. Given time I could possibly explain quantum mechanics or relativity, but it would be impossible to do it simply and to do it justice at the same time. Sometimes the explanation is that it's complicated and that there isn't a simple explanation. Have I made myself clear?

Your statement is therefore patently untrue, although trying for a simple explanation is usually worthwhile if trying to reach a wider audience, knowing that you will bore or provoke those who want a deeper understanding or who itch to dig you up for your sweeping generalisations. Or oversimplification, as it's known. Internet fora thrive on it. Someone will be reaching right now for the keyboard to point out that 'fora' as a plural of 'forum' is antiquate and is discriminating against those who did not study latin. The appeal to ignorance is the stalwart of the keyboard warrior. So very f****** tiresome.

I don't think the Plain English campaign would like the use of 'thus avoiding Pierrepoint', by the way. DOes it have any relevance to whether AA Approved status is good or bad?

• Like 6