Propping a Yew

scotspine1

I priced a job last year which included taking down a 25ft Yew.

I priced the job as a whole then explained to the customer that I wouldn't be cutting the yew down, if he didn't mind I would hire a digger at my expense with a veiw to try and dig it out to replant in my woodland, because it was such a shame to cut it down.

I went past weeks later to see someone throwing said yew through a chipper. Made my blood boil.

Id would have taken the yew out for nothing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony, I thought about fabric straps, not sure how to attach them to the stems though. How would you mulch around that tree?

Steve/Roller, the scaffold pole painted green with foam support would work. The wet concrete excavation might damage the roots, no? as would digging holes for concrete slabs....

Maybe need to think of a way with minimal ground disturbance?

Ed, will have a think about that drilling option.

Pecon, I agree, Yew is one of those trees I try to save wherever possible. Would be disappointing to loose this one as it sits in the front gardens of this listed building.

800px-Dalzell_House.jpg.d862059adf064f43938f0df403b2931a.jpg

I agree, just dont want to rule out a non digging method.

Found this pic of the of an ancient Scottish Oak propped with natural wood, looks very good for the setting. The Yew I'm working on is part of an ornamental garden so I dont think the natural wood would be necessary?

birnam-oak-macbeth.jpg

I've read of "metaposts" being used as a no dig option to footing the prop - successful? don't know, but it has minimal impact below ground. If you google UKTC and search the archive, I think I read it there.

Good luck, the tree's a beauty.:icon14:

I have used cut off 50mm towball “balls” welded into the end of scaffolding poles at both end to act as gimbals in cast iron blocks so the scaffolding pole doesn’t fatigue ware it goes concrete and allows the branch to move more naturally wile still supporting it, I have also used 1” steel plate the ground anchor/weight spreader above roots just beneath ground and 30deg rosejoints in place of towball “balls”, but then I do come from an engineering background. :smokin: