Trainers and Assessors wanted.

Katie Rowland

I’ve been pondering the idea of getting into training, I’d like to say I perform and a very high standard in climbing and have experience in training a few people out on worksites and do enjoy it , definitely when you can see improvement over time. 

I only have the basic qualifications, chainsaw maintenance to climbing in a tree with saw and harness. 

how would I go about becoming a trainer ??

• Like 1

On 28/01/2023 at 21:00, Newtons said:

I’ve been pondering the idea of getting into training, I’d like to say I perform and a very high standard in climbing and have experience in training a few people out on worksites and do enjoy it , definitely when you can see improvement over time. 

I only have the basic qualifications, chainsaw maintenance to climbing in a tree with saw and harness. 

how would I go about becoming a trainer ??

I looked into it and I think nptc states must have CS 30/31 and over 380mm felling. I've got them( old Cs equivalents of 30/31 plus recent felling certificate). The test for becoming assessor looks like you have to get 4 out of 5 on all criteria)- I'd need to revise on legislation etc.. and might be difficult to pass- obviously they want high standards.Not sure if they're after already qualified assessors.🤔

Training requires you to meet the standard and obviously you need to be well versed in the assessment schemes to be able to get your candidates to the required level needed to pass. You wouldn't need formal qualifications to train someone, as long as you were showing the correct steps. Best bet would be to find a local training centre and see if you could get some support.

To become an assessor you need to be technically evaluated by a technical verifier from City and Guilds. As stated, you need to get 4 or 5's out of 5 in a number of different categories. You then need to complete a standardisation event and complete an assessor course. 

PM if you need more info

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 11:57, Tommy_B said:

Training requires you to meet the standard and obviously you need to be well versed in the assessment schemes to be able to get your candidates to the required level needed to pass. You wouldn't need formal qualifications to train someone, as long as you were showing the correct steps. Best bet would be to find a local training centre and see if you could get some support.

To become an assessor you need to be technically evaluated by a technical verifier from City and Guilds. As stated, you need to get 4 or 5's out of 5 in a number of different categories. You then need to complete a standardisation event and complete an assessor course. 

PM if you need more info

Do you not need a teaching qual to train in a college?

2 hours ago, teresa green said:

Do you not need a teaching qual to train in a college?

You'd need background in the industry but teaching qualification wouldn't be essential. It would be great if you had one but it wouldn't preclude you in my experience