Stolen equipment register for chainsaws and other arb equipment

Steve Bullman

Arbsafe equipment register feedback  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Why haven't you registered your equipment on Arbsafe?

• I'm not organised enough
    • I can't be bothered
    • Its pointless and probably won't work
    • I don't want to list my details with a third party
    • I never knew it existed

11 hours ago, marktownend said:

I'm only a 'homeowner' type of user (admittedly now with a small woodland) and keep my own asset list of power tools etc but I'd be interested in this, however I've just looked at the site and the fact that there's no details on the contact us page of an address or similar would immediately put me off (if I'd not found it through seeing this thread which explains it's Steve).

Also Steve the links at the bottom of the site to the For Sale and Forum sections of Arbtalk are no longer valid.

And the fact that there are 427 items listed as stolen out of 1917 registered is really scary, have over 20% of all items listed really subsequently been stolen?

Thanks for the feedback Mark,

Yes there are a few updates that need doing to the site for sure, but as its not really been doing anything in terms of traffic I haven't done any further development. I will get that looked at.

Regarding the amount of items stolen, I think its likely that a lot of the people who registered had already had the items stolen and joined  specifically to list them

22 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

Regarding the amount of items stolen, I think its likely that a lot of the people who registered had already had the items stolen and joined  specifically to list them

As well as my own I did list two items stolen from the firm I was working for at the time but the owner did not give me permission t list all the assets, there were hundreds and it would have taken a lot of time.

• Like 1

If the small amount of people who have submitted the poll is a reflection on the wider audience then its clear i need to put more energy into promoting it, but obviously being a free service I don't have the marketing budget for it at this time. Gets tiresome repeatedly posting about it here and on social media. I stupidly thought it was going to be easy to push with the amount of thefts that are rife in the industry.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, nepia said:

My simple but brutal answer to the thread title Steve is that my gear's registered on Immobilise, the first port of call for crime investigators recovering equipment.

Am I right in thinking Arbsafe is linked to it?

Jon

No its not linked to immobilise and im not really convinced if they'd be particularly interested in a linkup. I did contact them at the time of setting this up. In general the interest level seemed low.

Also this police force seemed to be unaware of anything at all. I sent them a message regarding arbsafe which they initially responded to, but not to my subsequent message requesting a phone call to discuss opportunities. Seems the limit to their proactiveness was posting on social media which was disapointing.

image.png

🤦‍♂️

Disappointing!  If they don't know about Immobilise there is no hope; it's the national standard for recording stolen identifiable property and was presumably introduced to rectify the situation where each force held its own register - like that was going to help much!

Have you made Forces aware of Arbsafe?  I don't know who you'd tell - the Crime Commissioner perhaps

Edited by nepia

48 minutes ago, nepia said:

🤦‍♂️

Disappointing!  If they don't know about Immobilise there is no hope; it's the national standard for recording stolen identifiable property and was presumably introduced to rectify the situation where each force held its own register - like that was going to help much!

Have you made Forces aware of Arbsafe?  I don't know who you'd tell - the Crime Commissioner perhaps

I tried at the start. Even paid a stack of money to a police initiative called secured by design which turned out to be a total waste of money.

56 minutes ago, nepia said:

🤦‍♂️

You might have more luck finding out if a force has its own rural crime officer. As part of the smallholders group I'm a member of we had a zoom talk by our local one and they were quite honest in saying much of their force didn't necessarily understand rural crime. I know saws and choppers are not just used in the countryside but you might get more luck dealing with them.

It would be a PITA finding out every forces officer but I could dig out the details of our one for you Steve, it might be worth trying to talk to him?

12 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I tried at the start. Even paid a stack of money to a police initiative called secured by design which turned out to be a total waste of money.

Oh dear. Yet another system failure; the guy you dealt with (known to me you may recall but have been diplomatic enough not to mention) was very keen and a true believer in what he did.

Sorry it didn't work out.  Sometimes you wonder who's side who is on; I regularly got that feeling over 30 years!!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

You might have more luck finding out if a force has its own rural crime officer. As part of the smallholders group I'm a member of we had a zoom talk by our local one and they were quite honest in saying much of their force didn't necessarily understand rural crime. I know saws and choppers are not just used in the countryside but you might get more luck dealing with them.

It would be a PITA finding out every forces officer but I could dig out the details of our one for you Steve, it might be worth trying to talk to him?

I just need to find one person who is pro active