Alpine tractor and trailer crane

9 hours ago, doobin said:

Well to compare with a logbullet I was thinking alpine with forestry trailer. 

fair enough, thought you might be thinking of different low impact approaches and respective productivity.

comparing against ATV with driven forwarder trailer, which would have simmilar maneuverability as an alpine I’d imagine, the logbullet is much more productive, the worse the presentation of material the more productive the logbullet is over a trailer. the big draw back with ATV (or alpine I’d imagine) with trailer is not being able to easily and quickly back in (especially tighter areas) clearing a path and stacking as you go then forwarding/collecting on your way out.
There’s a lot of time consuming fannying about IME which dedicated forwarders reduce.

the biggest drawback with the logbullet is its speed on flat ground, that’s where on longer extraction routes with easily collected product the alpine could make up time 

I have thought about swapping the logbullet for an alpine and trailer but then realized it’d be taking a big step backwards 

• Like 1

Went through all this about 10/12 years ago, i really wanted a alpine but after watching one at a forestry demo day i decided against it , so it was back to the drawing board and a re think was in order, looked at medium sized 4WD tractors like ford 6610s case 784 884, made the decision and purchased a Kubota L3250, about same size as a Grey Fergi but with 4wd and 40hp, been a good machine and extracted a few tonne with it now, been reliable and its stood out in all weathers, never missed starting when needed, and i think the resale of a tractor like this applies to a far wider audience than a alpine does,   

20151017_160914.jpg

20160117_085832.jpg

20160608_171629.jpg

• Like 2