A challenge for the machine guys/gals

Haironyourchest

Here's my boggle: I want to put a Stihl saw head off of a HS131 polesaw on a Maruyama long reach hedge cutter. The Stihl head has that wee square female coupling. The Hedger (don't have the product code to hand) is kind of an oddball machine, not too many around. It's got either a 7 or 9 spline shaft.

I want something to connect the splined end of the hedger driveshaft to the square indent inside the Stihl head.

Any ideas?

Edited by Haironyourchest

So the trimmer has a splined shaft and the Stihl has a square shaft. I am assuming both outer poles of each machine are the same outer diameter? 

If they are AND the Maruyama is JUST going to be used with this Stihl head, you will need to convert the splined shaft to be a square one so if oversize, grind new flats on it and if under size, build the shaft diameter up with braze or weld then grind it down to match the stihl shaft. 

I guess you may be able to do something with replacing the complete shaft and epoxying/welding it in to the powerhead drive somehow but anything you do will have complications and be a compromise. 

Can't you get a splined saw head to fit...I used to fit cheap Chinese trimmer heads on to Husqvarna 325s as the OEM parts were around £300. The one I sold to my ex neighbour was doing stirling service around 8 years on! 

You may find one of these Ryobi or Chinese clone heads may fit.

• Thanks 1

Thank's chaps. Didn't think of filing down the trimmer shaft. I'd be wanting to use it as a trimmer as well from time to time.

I've had a couple of the Chinese kombitools, but the saw heads on them are trash. I just can't work with them.

See, the telescoping polesaw is great, but heavy. There are times I'd like a lighter machine with less reach. I don't be using the hedge trimmer that much, so if I can get it to work with a (good) saw head, it will see more use.

Maruyama do make a saw head for the trimmer, but they're hen's teeth to find and not cheap.

I'm thinking about an adapter, a small hex socket with a 1/4" hex shaft. Grind the shaft to fit the Stihl head, then expoxy the socket end onto the Maruyama spline, but coat the splines in light oil first. Hopefully it will set up and also be removable.

I don't understand the logic in making two good machines into one poor 'hybrid'

Like others have said, you could grind down the splined shaft to fit into the square drive on the Stihl, but it will mean weakening it with a reduction in metal and heat during grinding. Last thing you need is a weak link in the drive train. Seen this bodge done before (only because one of the donor machines had a knackered engine) and when it shears off in the Stihl end of the shaft you'll have fun trying to remove that. Added to the fact the 'adaption' of the shaft has to be absolutely spot on otherwise you will get elliptical rotation which can cause premature wear to bearings and also vibration through the length of the machine. In the end potentially you could end up with two machines with issues instead of two good machines to begin with and the only reason for doing this is to save cost (and weight) It's a lot of faffing about for not a lot of reward, and personally I consider it cost wise it is a false policy, but that's just my opinion.

Edited by pleasant

This chinesium one might fit it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002722751667.html

There 3 different versions of official ones listed here:

Not many around but seems a few dealers in ireland selling various maru sfuff but not many/any saw attachments.

One in italy:

GINODECHECCHI.COM

Set potatore motosega MC -PX Maruyama multicutter MC 321RS da 250 mm

Edited by Stere

IMG_20221209_172548_829.thumb.jpg.7d5a40f750d051712d90157b2fedd429.jpg

IMG_20221209_172630_927.thumb.jpg.e9b4c6b9aa915c83c7b4d34a7c405e81.jpg

Maybe it won't sheer off. I filed it instead of ground, so no heat. I've beat on these with ratchets, rattle guns, heavy torque drills etc, never sheered one.

The other end might be a different story, as only the tip of the splined shaft will engage with the socket, so not much bearing surface. I'm gonna use chemical metal to fill the space (will do a test run with a junk splined shaft and another socket, to be sure I can remove it after). But if it strips out it no biggie.

The hedger is only 24cc, doubt it will have the power to seriously damage anything.

The idea is modularity, not a permeant change. With a few minutes of head swapping I can have a nimble long reach saw when I need it. Change back to a hedger or super long reach saw as and when required.

As to the elliptical wobble, Yes, I'm concerned about that. Don't know how to fool-proof that one out of the mix... I'll just have to do it and see what happens, I suppose. If there's a noticable wobble I'll probably scrap the project.

5 minutes ago, Stere said:

This chinesium one might fit it?

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005002722751667.html

There 3 different versions of official ones listed here:

Not many around but seems a few dealers in ireland selling various maru sfuff but not many saw attachments.

One in italy:

GINODECHECCHI.COM

Set potatore motosega MC -PX Maruyama multicutter MC 321RS da 250 mm

Thank's for that, Steer, but bloody hell €284!!!

Could you not have used one of these, or am I getting confused with which 'ends' you require. This is from the HT131 and is a seperate component on the end of the inner drive tube and is the square drive that connect to the head.

WWW.LSENGINEERS.CO.UK

Driver Genuine Stihl Part OEM Part No. 4182 740 3501 Suitable for the following Stihl Machines: HT 100, HT 101, HT 130, HT...

It's a simple press fit in the end of the inner alloy tube

Edited by pleasant