Arb Waste

logwood

On 06/12/2022 at 07:12, logwood said:

Well, its gotta be worth my while paying to collect, cutting up and selling on.

I reakon, and this is on the assumption, that 1 tonne in weight of unseasoned raw wood produces 2 x builders bags of logs. Then I need to be paying under half of retail value per tonne?

Hit me with a price? Per large transit van load (nearly as much as a transit tipper loaded full).

My van carries 2 tonne.

You need to be paying well under half. 100% profit margin is a healthy amount to earn on a ready to sell product, but not in something you then have to spend a few hours processing. You’re completely removing the profit and just working for a wage 

1 hour ago, DocMustard said:

Otherwise please feel free to share any supplier who is able to supply firewood grade hardwood at this price

He's talking about arb waste though, not firewood grade timber you could whack through a processor. Personally I'd sell for £30 a ton especially if that's straight off the job site. 

59 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

You need to be paying well under half.

I guess good wood being harder to find is going to drive firewood prices up in general, I think OP will have to put prices up next year to reflect that and then can make some money.

1 hour ago, DocMustard said:

£30 per tonne? Good luck with that! Otherwise please feel free to share any supplier who is able to supply firewood grade hardwood at this price, I will have an artic load. The majority of roadside timber prices I have seen on this forum over the past 2 years have been near double your expectation, i.e. £55 to £65 per tonne roadside.

Note the person selling the wood to you will not set their price based on what it costs you to transport/process the wood after you have bought it, they will base the price on the cost of labour, machinery, business running costs to extract the timber. 

It's not firewood processor grade firewood that you could load onto an artic at roadside which you you might be expected to £55-£65/tonne as you say, it's often wood from trees that have been felled in sections so would be in random lengths, some often in larger size diameters not suitable for many processors as well as located often where you would not be able to get an artic lorry, not the volume either to justify an artic most often as well very often not suitable material for loading onto an artic anyway. Everything has its price and £55-£65 is not what you would to be pay for 'arb waste', half that price would be more than enough. 

2 hours ago, DocMustard said:

£30 per tonne? Good luck with that! Otherwise please feel free to share any supplier who is able to supply firewood grade hardwood at this price, I will have an artic load. The majority of roadside timber prices I have seen on this forum over the past 2 years have been near double your expectation, i.e. £55 to £65 per tonne roadside.

Note the person selling the wood to you will not set their price based on what it costs you to transport/process the wood after you have bought it, they will base the price on the cost of labour, machinery, business running costs to extract the timber. 

Thanks for your insight.

Probably not worth doing then.

They must be selling it to people who use it themselves.

60 quid per ton.. if that makes 2 ton bags you gotta pick it up, chop it up  sell it, deliver it.. all to turn 60 into 120 before all that time and cost.

I wasnt looking at premium grade timber... more sensible ish arb waste. And I buy alot of that at 30 per ton to collect.. sometimes from jobs.