GRCS vs LD2 vs Smartwinch

TommyW

7 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

No.

The back of the "SM" is contoured, a contour that never really fits any tree shape so the bearing surface against the trunk is small. A GRCS folds around the trunk fitting any contour.

You dont really switch between the winch and bollard during any big takedown in my experiance.Muting the SW's biggest promotion point, nor can you run two lines at the same time from memory.

Also from memory the SM is impossible to install alone.

In summary it felt like using a prototype and not a thought through product.

Screenshot_20221104-065504_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Right, cheers. I've been rather spoiled by the Hobbs. It's built solidly enough that you can strap it tight and not bend the frame. And you always have the winching option right there. That is useful. 

Back on the Smartwinch, I was similarly disappointed by not being able to (cleanly) run two lines at once. Does seem like a hole in the design that could have been filled before it hit the shops. 

• 1 month later...

14 minutes ago, Treerover said:

I do like the idea of the rope locking brake on the LD2 so you don’t have that anxious moment of watching your groundy taking off the wraps off the capstan on the GRCS once you’ve winched up a piece. Kind of the Achilles heel in an otherwise great bit of kit. 

If the wraps are removed one at a time and in a controlled way I have found zero problems. I just see the rope brake as a gimmick to eradicate a problem that can be solved with 5 minutes of training.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pete Mctree said:

If the wraps are removed one at a time and in a controlled way I have found zero problems. I just see the rope brake as a gimmick to eradicate a problem that can be solved with 5 minutes of training.

100%. I did a freelance day for a company a couple of years ago who proudly had their ld2 setup. As i recall I was very happy I had bought a grcs instead. If your staff can’t get their heads round a grcs then they’re not the folk I’d want lowering on a technical removal

• 1 month later...

To expand on this post. The arbpro LD1.. I am looking at one of these, I have a stein rc3001 bollard so heavy negative rigging is covered. So the lower price of the arbpro LD1 is appealing as it would give some pretty good lifting capability. TBH the price of anything else is to high.

So, the adverts and price decent job of selling it, what I'm after is some input from people who have used one? whats its downfalls?