tw190

hiya chaps ,

we were using our tw190 yesterday all morning just like normall when suddenly the chipper sounded like it had stalled and a puff of bluey white rubbery smelling smoke came from around the engine bay (not from the exaust) then the chipper started to speed back up to working speed but now there is a really bad vabration that causes the chipper to nearly bounce off of the tyres , i have looked to see if something has been fed in that should not have been and the answer is no , the belts are all ok and tensioned , mechanicly the engine seems to be fine oh and there is no sign of dammage to any of the fans on the back of the flywheel and no dammage to the flywheel its self . i can only think that the flywheel bearings have gone , if so is it a big job to do ?? i was looking at trying to do the work our selves but not sure if thats possible . your advice would be greatly appreciated:thumbup:

If it is the bearings then depending on your mechanical knowledge you can change them yourself, i changed mine on my 150 with no probs but i was a mechanic before i got into trees.it could be a head or exhaust gasket. you could try calling a timberwolf dealer and asking them, when i have had problems i call orange plant ( my local dealer) they have a good knowledge of these machines. good luck.

Loosen the belts and spin the flywheel by hand to see if the bearing have gone.

The 190 bearing (flywheel on stub axel) I have seen are not very good, they seam to have almost half the amount of ball bearing they should have (they are very widely spaced within the race)

i gave doug a call and spoke to one of the fitters but to my supprise they have never worked on a 190 !!! looks like it may well have to go to the new dealers in cornwall - holt jcb but then again i did call them yesterday and they have not evebn had the decentcy to call me back to get it booked in

If it’s the type that the flywheel sits on a single stub-axel (like the tracked 190’s) which is held to the chipper by caps (like a crank is held in a block by caps)

The stub axel is stationery - the caps allow you do remove it from the chipper.

The flywheel fits to the stub axel just like a wheel hub dose on a car stub-axel.

The drive-belt pulley wheel then fixes direct to the engine end of the flywheel in a similar manner to how a half-shaft flange fixes to a hub.