Stubborn Chainsaw Running Issue

Muddy42

My 135 must be 8 years old now and still my favourite little saw. Run on Aspen from new and never had any running faults apart from oil pump drive seized onto crank and ran the chain all the time but that was sorted with emery and a bit of lube. Enjoy the saw now it's running👍

15 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

.. and you were going to scrap the saw on page 2! Good job, well done.

I was indeed! God knows how many hours I spent fiddling with it. If I priced those hours the same as my desk job, I could have bought several new saws.

4 hours ago, peatff said:

My 135 must be 8 years old now and still my favourite little saw. Run on Aspen from new and never had any running faults apart from oil pump drive seized onto crank and ran the chain all the time but that was sorted with emery and a bit of lube. Enjoy the saw now it's running👍

i will. Its a nice weight for small jobs.

That's the thing that really gets me......you can spend more time on diagnosing the problem than it takes to cure, but when you try and charge out accordingly punters think you should work for nothing. More often than not we have to trim our hourly rate on a machine that is difficult to cure simply because if we charged our normal hourly rate it wouldn"t be economical to repair or customer wouldn"t pay....so we have to make less profit. I don't know many other trades whereby you have to do that. My accountant, solicitor, and other 'professional' service providers certainly don"t do it.

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, pleasant said:

That's the thing that really gets me......you can spend more time on diagnosing the problem than it takes to cure, but when you try and charge out accordingly punters think you should work for nothing. More often than not we have to trim our hourly rate on a machine that is difficult to cure simply because if we charged our normal hourly rate it wouldn"t be economical to repair or customer wouldn"t pay....so we have to make less profit. I don't know many other trades whereby you have to do that. My accountant, solicitor, and other 'professional' service providers certainly don"t do it.

That is sooooooo true. Been there on many a job and if you priced it at a normal hourly rate then it would be eye wateringly expensive but.....if you are working for yourself or own the business AND have a death or glory never give in attitude (and that can be a pain believe me) then you can do what you want and I HATE to be defeated by a piece of inanimate metal!!

I would rather stick in a few extra hours and fix the damn thing as long as the spare parts don't make it uneconomical! 

• Like 5