Large horizontal log splitter

Tom Richards

We have been using a ryetec 1.2m 40ton splitter for the really big stuff and stumping the rest to drop through a 12 way splitter but it's a lot of manual labour and the metre lengths don't make the tidiest firewood. 

We're in the process of upgrading to a 3m ryetec splitter to hopefully just quarter the oversize and put it through like normal logs. Also looked at cone splitters but they take time and do a messier job.

20220823_144905.thumb.JPG.26d4816c2e5db43bbd7a1c71960a3654.JPG

20220819_140952.thumb.JPG.61a963ed72be07de52cf4cda8b681dee.JPG

• Like 1

How are you going to lift them on to splitter if you bloke can't lift rings on to vertical splitter. 

I use a Riko 25t to brake big stuff down, Mark 4 rings then cut through it and lift it on to splitter with crane, splitter splits it into 4 then cut them into 9inch pieces which can then be put through smaller vertical splitter. 

6 hours ago, woody paul said:

How are you going to lift them on to splitter if you bloke can't lift rings on to vertical splitter. 

I use a Riko 25t to brake big stuff down, Mark 4 rings then cut through it and lift it on to splitter with crane, splitter splits it into 4 then cut them into 9inch pieces which can then be put through smaller vertical splitter. 

I was thinking either with the tractor loader or the crane? 

I guess which ever way you do it is time consuming and by the sounds of it you comprise with the quality of the end product a bit when going through a large splitter. 

I had previously brought a cone splitter but it didn’t perform how I had hoped so it doesn’t get much use. 

guess I’ll get the 66 out for a few hours . 

It's the usual catch 22, faster but messy or slow & steady.

Granted with your timber it's probably not much of a concern for a little waste.

I've seen a lot of the big posch and similar videos and just see all the fines and tiny stuff that needs riddling out, but not sure what percentage over say a full artic load.

Do they do a large enough old school style table saw for 20" stuff maybe with modern dust collector and chainsaw, lift on the table with loader and ring down to size.

Ive got a binderberger gigant 40 with a 12 way knife for rings.

it will take about a 1.5m length of trunk. What you can do is roll the trunk onto the lift. Cut through most of the way with a chainsaw, say 3/4 of the way. Use the lift to get the trunk into the channel. Once there, cut the rest of the way through so that you now have 5 x 30cm rings next to each other.  Push them straight through the splitter in one pass. 

If you split the trunk into 4 billets, then you have 4 x the number of cuts on the processor for the same result.

Ive seen it done, but we mainly get pre cut rings rather than 1.5m long sections, so we just load 4 rings at the same time and push them through in one pass. Brilliant piece of kit if you have the timber to go through it.

Image.png

57 minutes ago, Chalgravesteve said:

Ive got a binderberger gigant 40 with a 12 way knife for rings.

it will take about a 1.5m length of trunk. What you can do is roll the trunk onto the lift. Cut through most of the way with a chainsaw, say 3/4 of the way. Use the lift to get the trunk into the channel. Once there, cut the rest of the way through so that you now have 5 x 30cm rings next to each other.  Push them straight through the splitter in one pass. 

If you split the trunk into 4 billets, then you have 4 x the number of cuts on the processor for the same result.

Ive seen it done, but we mainly get pre cut rings rather than 1.5m long sections, so we just load 4 rings at the same time and push them through in one pass. Brilliant piece of kit if you have the timber to go through it.

Image.png

What diameter timber can it handle please ?