Husqvarna 550XP intermittent power mystery.

Hoggin

1 hour ago, Muddy42 said:

Me too.  I have seen sparks off the bar, but never from the exhaust.  I guess it stems from a litigation culture and drier climates than the UK

I've not noticed sparks but I have set fire to dry rotten wood and dry grass when felling, it only needs a bit over 200C to ignite fresh char.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Me too.  I have seen sparks off the bar, but never from the exhaust.  I guess it stems from a litigation culture and drier climates than the UK

I understand they're fitted for the international market. The dealer said they are unnecessary in the UK (and they recommend removing them too) but manufacturers fit them as a matter of course. That's globalism for you.

I don't know, but they may well be an EU stipulation too. I wouldn't be surprised.  Do US manufactured saws have them..?

Edited by Gimlet

On 14/02/2023 at 19:02, Gimlet said:

Got this fixed as well now. It was the spark arrester in the exhaust. Got clogged up because I'm not revving it hard enough with hedging work. 

They've taken it out and reflashed the engine management system. Hopefully that will sort it, but I'll be making sure its a regular proper workout on high revs. 

eazy fix if you know about it . found this on bootube check from 4:30.

Still playing up after it came back from the dealers. Seemed to idle too high (although the chain wasn't going round) and the revs would hang for a second or two when the throttle was released. Did the "secret screw" thing this afternoon and it seems to have cured it. Find out tomorrow when I get it fully warmed up. 

Fecking thing it is. I think I'm done with Hasqvarna. Even the their fuel/oil can is crap. dribbles and leaks. Next saw will be a Stihl.

Edited by Gimlet

With the symptoms you have the dealer should do a pressure/ vac test, I have seen a few mark 11 550xp  with a leaking seal behind the flywheel, as spud says a diagnostic test will show the carb settings and can give a good pointer as to where the fault is.

• Like 3