CS100 hunting at full throttle

ostosix

Yep no more hunting, smooth as silk now. Not sure id took in some carb cleaner or caught something from the nipper cos something gave me a bad belly. So only just got it fired up. 

it has cut out twice but i presume its just clearing some debris through. 

will try under load too

i also got the fuel pump to change, as this one is weeping fuel and not sure if thats normal. 

been running 15 mins now no issue.

i do appreciate the ‘at elbow’ support from this forum. Many thanks!

• Like 3

Yes the main jet hole was closed in 30% of its area and the jet that the float works had some loose debris in. Carb cleaner squirt soon sorted it. 

i just seem to go the long way round on every job. I could’ve been done and dusted with in the hour. Pretty crazy odds of dropping that main jet and it finding the only hole were the engine bolts down. 

job was off today anyway as i felt rotten most of the day.

next job is a winch to get it on/off trailer

• Like 1

'Yes the main jet hole was closed in 30% of its area'

That is pretty much the definition of 'hunting' as you mentioned your OP. The carb is hunting for extra fuel to compensate to the decrease in intake.

Hunting is scavenging for fuel, so you can bet your bits to a barn dance it's always carb or carb jet related.

Edited by pleasant
duplicate word
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, ostosix said:

Yes the main jet hole was closed in 30% of its area and the jet that the float works had some loose debris in. Carb cleaner squirt soon sorted it. 

i just seem to go the long way round on every job. I could’ve been done and dusted with in the hour. Pretty crazy odds of dropping that main jet and it finding the only hole were the engine bolts down. 

job was off today anyway as i felt rotten most of the day.

next job is a winch to get it on/off trailer

Great result! Should be good for a while now! 

• Thanks 1

Just to feed back here boys;

I replaced the fuel pump and now starts really easy on the key in conparision to 15-20 second turn over time to catch. Well worth doing if a carb sorts out other issues. 

i’ll probably price up some of the fuel pipe work next as its looking a bit shabby in places under the tank. Plus get some little jubilee clips on instead of those fiddly spring clips. 

Does anybody have a good link to tyres? Obviously a lot wider than standard tyre in that size? Plenty of cracks in this pair and i’m not sure they’ll last the winter.

• Like 1

Bad news boys, I went out and started removing my own front conifer hedge and thought it a good opportunity to really test the wee chipper under load after all the work.

I'd changed the fuel pump and it all started very sweetly. So on the day of reckoning I had a mate from work round to see how good it was and sure enough the thing started fine for one min then cut out only at idle! In then end he had to go and I still couldn't get it going.

In the end I took off the tank and drained the lot and the lines until dry. There was some white stuff floating in the bottom of the tank so i ditched the 2.5lits of fuel and stuck a gallon in from petrol station and still just continued turning over but not catching.

The only other which im not sure of is the throttle spring. Maybe the cable had slipped when I was bagging it up for the nights.

Other than that I've had a good look round. This morning I check the plugs etc and battery has been charging over night. Just totally confused at the easy start then nothing.

I'll keep it on this thread as it'll make a decent rundown of faults for other people eventually!

Have a nice weekend, and thanks for continued support.

Edited by ostosix

Sorted boys. After checking plugs and other basics, i took top off carb to find it bone dry. I though it must be fuel as no smoke from exhaust.

Ended up being a blockage where the last pipe meets the carb on the metal elbow pipe

Bllew out with airline and float chamber filled right up, and started fine. 

got all my conifer chipped down no issues. 

• Like 6