New ms462cm problem HELP!

Nclark

10 hours ago, Nclark said:

That’s pretty insulting considering you know nothing about me.

and I have contacted the dealer who like I said was rubbish hence why I’m here asking for some help.

as for qualified I’ve operated numerous chainsaws for along time and not a single one has got hot. I repair my own gear and never use dealers or service centres. Just because I haven’t come across this problem before does not make me unqualified. It’s a new saw so rather than take it apart and find the fault I thought I would ask the forum.
the reason I came here was to see just on the off chance that I missed something and judging by the comments I have not which validates my concerns that the saw has an issue.

My apologies for insult, but u wanted advice, isn't? and I give one, by defenition if you can't find a problem, well..... u not qualifyed, its happen to me as well, and to others on this site, I see nothing embarrassing to find proper man, before it's too late. 

• Like 1

Here's my tupenth, 'unqualified' just with a bit of user experience.

1.  It's sensible to check the obvious things before going too the dealer, even after as a busy dealer may have a bad day and not be that helpful.  So going through the manual and doing the obvious checks like is the oil turned up enough for a long bar and is the oil hole clear etc is sensible.

2. Yes the bar looks too be over heating.

3. Oil tank I don't know, they do get warm from the exhaust and many saws have a bit of foil/insulation under the exhaust as a bit of a heat shield.  I don't know if your saw should have this, is it there?

4. Check the bar, chain and drive sprocket are all the same pitch and guage.  It's not unheard of for a saw to be supplied with a mix up such as wrong chain, so check the numbers on them.  Even fit another bar, chain, sprocket that you know are correct if you have one/can borrow.

5. Also check the chain is sharp, fit a new one, a spare is always useful.

6. If these checks don't solve it I'd go to the dealer again, calmly, find a time they aren't too busy and explain what you've checked and show them the bar.

7. Hope you get it resolved

I have read this post from start to finish, there has been some good advice, you have contacted the dealer, you have contacted Stihl direct, my best guess is you have been told there is noting wrong with it , so you can either stick it on the shelf as an ornament, or take it out and use it, the APF is coming very soon so if it goes tits up take it to the Stihl stand and vent your anger, maybe there is just nothing wrong with it.

• Like 1

seen a 440 with something similar on a new 25 inch bar a while ago, oil hole was not quite in right place on the bar, so opened it up and it was fine. Took some finding though as without the bar it oiled fine so never checked position of the hole for ages. Put bar and chain on and tension correctly, dont use the side cover use a couple of spare nuts and washers. mark a line on the saw and the bar so you can locate it in the same place. Take the chain off and line the marks up so the bar is in the same place and start it and watch to see if oil is flowing into the groove in the bar. 

I repeat, from my earlier comment. The OP has stated the saw gets overly hot WITHOUT the bar and chain fitted. Read his original post. This is the confusing thing...if it were just the one issue with the bar, then looking at the bar wear/blueing in the cutting area- combined with the bar getting hot, then I would suggest a dull chain with the operator having to 'lean' on it to get it through the cut- this can effectively squeeze out the oil between the bar and chain in that area, so it gets hot and doesn't lubricate that isolated area..or it's inferior quality chain oil being used or not even chain oil in the reservoir? Correct, decent chain oil not only lubricates but also cools. However, as the issue with with the oil reservoir getting excessively hot without the bar and chain fitted is either another issue or the op is mistaken?

Edited by pleasant
grammar

4 hours ago, adw said:

I have read this post from start to finish, there has been some good advice, you have contacted the dealer, you have contacted Stihl direct, my best guess is you have been told there is noting wrong with it , so you can either stick it on the shelf as an ornament, or take it out and use it, the APF is coming very soon so if it goes tits up take it to the Stihl stand and vent your anger, maybe there is just nothing wrong with it.

If there's nothing wrong with it, or IF there is something wrong with it, and it's actually 'pilot error' rather than a manufacturing fault, then maybe 'venting his anger' at innocent Stihl PR staff in the middle of a show is not the best course of action. Being aggressive, shouting and demanding are not the most productive techniques to get anywhere.....particularly IF the OP is incorrect.

4 hours ago, adw said:

• Like 2