Can anyone make a bench near Chepstow?

sandspider

As above, really. Toying with the idea of a birthday present for me! Something fairly rustic, long lasting wood requiring minimal care, but not too pricey. Larch? Sweet chestnut? I imagine oak would be a fair bit pricer. Doubt I've got anything suitable growing here, so don't think I'll be able to provide wood. Will have a word with the wife as to budget...

Anyone near Chepstow who could make such a thing?

@Squaredy, I seem to remember you're near me, and you make wooden things?

Cheers.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

As above, really. Toying with the idea of a birthday present for me! Something fairly rustic, long lasting wood requiring minimal care, but not too pricey. Larch? Sweet chestnut? I imagine oak would be a fair bit pricer. Doubt I've got anything suitable growing here, so don't think I'll be able to provide wood. Will have a word with the wife as to budget...

Cheers.

I am near Chepstow, and I have one or two people who rent workshops from me who could make a bench.  I have done items like this in the past but I stick to sawmilling now. 

A simple rustic bench might be a day or two work, or a traditional park type bench with multiple joints will be more like 6 days or more, so price can vary enormously!

Are you not a woodworker or do you not fancy making it yourself?

• Like 2

Thanks. I'm not a woodworker, I'm an idiot! Could probably make something functional myself with a chainsaw, but don't really have the time or the wood, or much skill.

I imagine we'd have a £200 or £300 budget - definitely thinking of a rustic option.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Thanks. I'm not a woodworker, I'm an idiot! Could probably make something functional myself with a chainsaw, but don't really have the time or the wood, or much skill.

I imagine we'd have a £200 or £300 budget - definitely thinking of a rustic option.

Cant see you getting Sweet Chestnut at Larch prices, but you never know?

The Timber alone is gonna cost you your budget I’d imagine. Two days work will get you your £300. I guess you might get cheaper, depends on how folks value their time. 

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Cant see you getting Sweet Chestnut at Larch prices, but you never know?

The Timber alone is gonna cost you your budget I’d imagine. Two days work will get you your £300. I guess you might get cheaper, depends on how folks value their time. 

Huh. I was hoping it wouldn't be that much just for a couple of slabs, a couple of back supports and some legs. But I suppose timber costs have gone up. Will see what I can find.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Is this too rustic and basic? In European larch, storm Arwen damage. Shame I’m 320 miles away from Chepstow. I have more slabs like it. If I was to do another, the back would be higher.

404E16C2-F5AF-47D5-ACBF-446F2F2B2B18.jpeg

I was thinking of having a gap between seat slab and back slab. But I do rather like that, with a higher back.

3 hours ago, sandspider said:

Cheers.

Could 'near Chepstow' include Shaftesbury?  I'm thinking Mark gobbypunk; I know he needs work

18 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I was thinking of having a gap between seat slab and back slab. But I do rather like that, with a higher back.

If you can find a simple rustic design you like you may get something for the sort of money you are talking about.  

You should be able to get two through and through Larch or Douglas fir slabs for about £50 each, so then you have to find a chippy with time on their hands.