Sharks Gill felling cut.

Joe Newton

2 hours ago, drinksloe said:

Looks like the sizwell done its job well 👍

U do get some real decent fibre pull with them and it always/mostly seems to pull down into the root plate and not up into the timber like a normal gub can if u havenae done sap wood cuts. I've never noticed much tearing in the bottom log

Aye i'm the same as u practice any of these more advanced cuts when it doesn't really matter and see how they cope.

The only problem is every tree is different so u will never truely know if u done something different

Did u put a rope on to just for belt and braces since a power line?

Would u subsitute this sharks tooth cut instaed of that swizel cut?

Ive found larch to be a queer tree at times most of time hinges hold real good but every now and again 1 surprises u and breaks of on u.

To be fair most of the time that happens ur cuts have not been 100% spot on

I have come to the assumption that the diagonal face cut has to be as long as you can make it, which means a high stump.

And nope i didn't put a rope on it

6 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

One of these, larch with a heavy lean towards 33kv power line. This is the last of a row of 7.

I have alot go wrong in the past ,  and have been practicing were its doesn't matter.

20220707_085008.jpg

20220707_084953.jpg

Proper skills, although at first sight looks like a 17 year old has done it on his first day!

Did you angle the gob as much as it looks like you did?

14 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Proper skills, although at first sight looks like a 17 year old has done it on his first day!

Did you angle the gob as much as it looks like you did?

This is really hard to describe,  i will do a short video describing what and why when i find a suitable tree.

I would have filmed this tree but the ground was too steep,  and high levels of bramble .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

This is really hard to describe,  i will do a short video describing what and why when i find a suitable tree.

I would have filmed this tree but the ground was too steep,  and high levels of bramble .

Look forward to it. It looks from your picture that the stem twisted 90° as it fell. The growth rings tell their own story too.

Not the best photos, was sure I had others in phone.

Aye it does mean a slightly higher stump, but can't be helped, ur doing the cut for a reason.

Most of the time I use it is edge trees so a good chance I might be jacking them anyway so ur stump will be higher.

Not the biggest or ugliest of trees or massive lean or weight over ride, althou I'm sure those trees had to come right in so forwarder could lift all the produce as harvester off site.

With the larger edge trees Ithat a normal gub in first horizontal and then put the extra diagional gub on the inside.

chances are the gub will be bored anyway and it's only that 1 side I really care about holding anyway.

20201202_120918.thumb.jpg.aa0cdab4d7f508dc2aed6cc59c53df7d.jpg20201202_120904.thumb.jpg.58d7a92e4d2bd3e61b0c7656bf8e6dc6.jpg

I think that's my 372 with a 20 on it ( otherwise 560 and 18)  it's sitting on the normal gub I I then took the angled gub out the inside.

If u can tie hinge into a buttress seen it pulling big bits of  root out the ground.

Really does hold well when u do it right

On 08/07/2022 at 22:06, Joe Newton said:

This seems to be the new trendy felling cut on social media. I believe the intended application is getting side leaners to hold a hinge.

I'm always skeptical about stuff like this. Reckon it's more for YouTube likes than anything. Most of the comments are noshing off the poster so I assume they're people with little to no arb background.

Any time served fallers using this cut to good effect? I'm happy to be proven wrong but I struggle to see how this is better than just leaving a thick hinge.  

Back to OP

I really haven't done much with this cut and really know little about it but the above green lines where not really how i thought u do it..

I would say video tree was not really big enough to demo it on and with a rope on it u could of done almost any cut u wanted and that tree would of pulled over easily

But it looks like his back cut went right up to his final vertical bore, so it wouldn't do much good.

And his 1st bore right in the face of the hinge i though that might encourage it to snap the hinge rather than make it stronger.

There is another cut i occsasionally do if i want the hinge to snap off and i cut down the face like that and take a wee tiny gub out there, handy for steep ground uphill felling when u really don't want to go back to sever the hinge after its on the deck

Like i say i don't know that much about the cut but the very few times i've done it were just 3 vertical bores 6" or so into hinge wood just 3/4" apart ish all on the same level, just on the inside of the hinge/tree.

Like i say i have no idea if that is right or not but wot some other clips seemed to show, it has always seemed to work when i hav done it but never done it on a real dodgy heavily weighted tree yet whjn it might actually make a difference ( or not)

On 09/07/2022 at 18:14, drinksloe said:

Looks like the sizwell done its job well 👍

U do get some real decent fibre pull with them and it always/mostly seems to pull down into the root plate and not up into the timber like a normal gub can if u havenae done sap wood cuts. I've never noticed much tearing in the bottom log

Aye i'm the same as u practice any of these more advanced cuts when it doesn't really matter and see how they cope.

The only problem is every tree is different so u will never truely know if u done something different

Did u put a rope on to just for belt and braces since a power line?

Would u subsitute this sharks tooth cut instaed of that swizel cut?

Ive found larch to be a queer tree at times most of time hinges hold real good but every now and again 1 surprises u and breaks of on u.

To be fair most of the time that happens ur cuts have not been 100% spot on

I agree I’ve had larch catch me out many times along with sycamore, about 75% of the felling I’ve done in these species has gone fine weird things have happened for the others, you just have to fell everyone with the attitude that it’s trying to kill you or destroy the world round about and you’ll be fine !