SAWDUST - COMPLIANCE

It will be a combination of pure wood and man-made wood such as mdf and ply board.

It is extracted mechanically via a Nederman dust extraction system from the wood fuel prior to being dispensed into the boiler for burning.

The wood is Grade C non-hazardous could be suitable for briquettes? But may not be suitable for animal bedding, although I’m not experienced in how animal bedding is derived from wood dust so couldn’t be sure of restrictions in that sense.

17 hours ago, Squaredy said:

I assume you mean a compliant solution for disposal?  In which case perhaps you could specify what the sawdust comprises of?  For instance is it only pure wood dust or is it also man made boards like MDF, plywood etc?

Yes a compliant solution for disposal. It's a mixture of both pure and man made, it originates from scrap wood from houses.

1 hour ago, Jessica Envirovue said:

Yes a compliant solution for disposal. It's a mixture of both pure and man made, it originates from scrap wood from houses.

Maybe others on here will have greater knowledge of disposal than I, but as soon as the sawdust is derived from man made boards it will contain resin dust.  MDF sawdust is well known as a carcinogen and I doubt will be ideal for composting responsibly.  

I would have thought the only real compliant route would be for it to be carted away by a licensed waste carrier for incineration at a local authority site. 

There must be many other businesses like yours which produce large volumes of mixed sawdust and shavings of course, so it might be worth speaking to some of them.   On this site most people (myself included) only deal with pure wood dust and shavings from untreated logs.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

Maybe others on here will have greater knowledge of disposal than I, but as soon as the sawdust is derived from man made boards it will contain resin dust.  MDF sawdust is well known as a carcinogen and I doubt will be ideal for composting responsibly.  

I would have thought the only real compliant route would be for it to be carted away by a licensed waste carrier for incineration at a local authority site. 

There must be many other businesses like yours which produce large volumes of mixed sawdust and shavings of course, so it might be worth speaking to some of them.   On this site most people (myself included) only deal with pure wood dust and shavings from untreated logs.

Unfortunately it cannot be incinerated due to being fine dust (potentially causing dust explosions). We are exploring the option of briquettes? But will continue to speak to people in this industry in the hope someone has experienced this before. Thank you

21 minutes ago, Jessica Envirovue said:

We are exploring the option of briquettes?

Again I don't see how briquettes will be an option if they are to be sold to the public.  As soon as man made boards are involved burning in a logburner, firepit etc is not an option. 

Maybe they could be burned in an industrial setting for heat or electricity generation, as long as the plant can cope with the resulting pollutants.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jessica Envirovue said:

Unfortunately it cannot be incinerated due to being fine dust (potentially causing dust explosions). We are exploring the option of briquettes? But will continue to speak to people in this industry in the hope someone has experienced this before. Thank you

We had a shredder for the returns at a well known seller of flat pack furniture and that was burned  in a licensed boiler, a magnet separated ferrous metal fittings but the aluminium just burned or melted, there were some issues with the acidic nature of the flue gases, from the glues and laminates I imagine.

I agree with @Squaredy the burner would need to be licensed as an incinerator. I think the ones excepted from full incineration directive must be restricted to 40kg/hour.

Where does your current output get burnt?

I would have thought there was scope in extruding it with a flammable binder (glycerol. molasses, starch etc) and co firing it with the current fuel.

Also it could be blown in at a velocity greater than the flame speed of the dust in still air.