Is your chain oil sticky??

john87

1 hour ago, pleasant said:

Sorry mate....collection only. No shipping

Whats a good price?

I paid £63 & some pennies to buy one local to a job.

Paying £49.50 for 25L of the cheaper stuff.

Also just bought some rocwood to try for £47.49

Local agri wanted over £90 for comma 30.

On 01/10/2022 at 12:33, Justme said:

I have been using what ever oil I can find cheapest in my processor.

Last delivery did not arrive on time so had to buy a barrel locally to the job.

All they had was Oregon.

Totally different beast.

Using about 40% less oil, chain is not stretching (normally tighten twice a day & now fresh chains are fit & forget)or needing changing as much & bar wear massively reduced.

Balances out the extra cost.

Chains dont 'stretch' they bed in and wear-giving the impression they stretch. If they stretched in the true sense of the word, the rivets would fall out the joiners and it would come apart....and I've never seen that happen.

Edited by pleasant

23 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Chains dont 'strech' they bed in and wear-giving the impression they strech. If they streched in the true sense of the word, the rivets would fall out the joiners and it would come apart....and ive never seen that happen.

Rivet would not fall out as the hole would never get bigger than the splayed head.

They are not friction fit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Justme said:

Rivet would not fall out as the hole would never get bigger than the splayed head.

Chains do not stretch- joints, rivets, cutters, drive links wear. Bars and sprockets wear- which all gives the impression a chain needs adjusting because it has stretched, but in reality it is wear in the components. I agree the rivets cannot come out, because the strap hasn't stretched- just worn around the rivet hole, but IF someone is adamant a chain has stretched, then this excess length has to come from somewhere, and that logically would be the straps- in which case if it were true, the rivet holes would also need to stretch- thus becoming larger

36 minutes ago, Justme said:

Whats a good price?

I paid £63 & some pennies to buy one local to a job.

Paying £49.50 for 25L of the cheaper stuff.

Also just bought some rocwood to try for £47.49

Local agri wanted over £90 for comma 30.

£63 is a good price for 25L Oregon standard chain oil.

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Not used synth since I started using a processor but on my saw it was costing more in bar oil than petrol.

Synthplus is same price as Oregon at FrJones -£60 for 20l Stihl vs £75 for 25l Oregon.

Hadn't thought about it compared to fuel, per litre it's more but saw uses two or three times as much petrol as oil so per day I'd reckon is less.

Bit like the 2 stroke oil debate, I don't have any problems with bar or chain wear so stick with what I know.

4 hours ago, pleasant said:
4 hours ago, Justme said:

Chains do not stretch- joints, rivets, cutters, drive links wear. Bars and sprockets wear- which all gives the impression a chain needs adjusting because it has stretched, but in reality it is wear in the components. I agree the rivets cannot come out, because the strap hasn't stretched- just worn around the rivet hole, but IF someone is adamant a chain has stretched, then this excess length has to come from somewhere, and that logically would be the straps- in which case if it were true, the rivet holes would also need to stretch- thus becoming larger

Your convincing me.

• Like 1