Big auger

Mark Bolam

Met the Rack'n'Ruin folks at the Game Fair in the summer.

Nice folks, and the huge wine rack was stunning (so was the price!).

Want to do someting on a smaller scale, 4-6 bottles in a lump of roughly sanded Oak.

Let me know what sort of wine you like fellas, because I may need some help lifting it into my living room....

• 1 year later...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you ever find a way of doing these holes Mark?

I bought a big dewalt forstner drill bit off ebay but none of my drills will come close to turning it! (I got the 96mm one).

Bosch do this one GBM 32-4 Professional - Rotary Drill - Bosch Power Tools for Professionals which looks good.... but are there any other alternatives?

Met the Rack'n'Ruin folks at the Game Fair in the summer.

Nice folks, and the huge wine rack was stunning (so was the price!).

Want to do someting on a smaller scale, 4-6 bottles in a lump of roughly sanded Oak.

Let me know what sort of wine you like fellas, because I may need some help lifting it into my living room....

Mark, I think the one at The CLA Game Fair this year was Sticks and Stone.

Welcome to Sticks & Stone

He's a mate of Theocus off here.

Some nice stuff on their stand.

They did tell me how they made the holes, but after numerous refreshments during a warm day, I can't remember! :blushing::laugh1:

What about using a starret hole saw + arbor to mark out circumference - use whatever auger bit you have to clear the internal wood and then use the hole saw to tidy the hole up? You would probably need to rig up stand to hold the drill steady but thats what I would do. Hole saw + arbour will probably cost you @ £15 from any electrical wholesler.

I bought this for £40 at the Festival of the Tree, Westonbirt. It was unfinished, untreated and not completely seasoned with a big crack appearing. I took it home soaked it in 'bug killer' for woodworm for 3 days, coated it in linseed and went to the boat chandlers and put 4 layers of marine varnish over it.

That was 4 years ago and it's still with me, no further cracks and a talking point when friends come around for dinner. :thumbup1:

That elm is amazing but 6k really? I am in awe but I could never afford it no matter how much I love the natural wood.

09092011581.jpg.0802f8324af3aa529b6d68d04ef01dbc.jpg

Spot on thanks for that I'l give it a try, regarding the wood used for the rack does it need to be seasoned before drilling etc or can it be bored out, sanded and left indoors to season/varnish? Not had any experience of wood working/milling etc.

I'm using a still fresh bit of timber.

Want to drill the holes now. Then let dry a couple of months.

I've got some prime bits of wood that will look good!

Ref drying wood and when to varnish.... hmmm tricky to answer that as it's a piece of string type question....

I bought this for £40 at the Festival of the Tree, Westonbirt. It was unfinished, untreated and not completely seasoned with a big crack appearing. I took it home soaked it in 'bug killer' for woodworm for 3 days, coated it in linseed and went to the boat chandlers and put 4 layers of marine varnish over it.

I reckon that's pretty good but there's a lot more scope out there to improve on the idea....

.... but it's making the holes (quickly) I'm after...