The financial case for electric vehicles

Big J

7 hours ago, Big J said:

That's a very cynical viewpoint! 😁

The subsidies are already pretty meagre. There will of course have to be an alternative form of taxation to cover the lost revenue from the road fund licence and fuel duty, but it's not going to increase the cost per mile. 

The price of electricity should be coming down now as we transition to renewables, but stupid decisions by the Tories are hindering that. The effective halting of new onshore wind projects for the last 7 years, for example. 

The UK has massive renewable potential, and with electric vehicles the possibility of fuelling our cars in a zero emissions fashion.

Either way, after filling my VW Transporter yesterday in Sweden at £1.91/litre and it costing £154, I am looking forward to getting at least 1 EV!

To be honest J I totally agree with the wind farm ban onshore. The technology is well proven to develop and install these things offshore and would create tens of thousands of jobs if managed correctly as a bonus. They are an absolute eyesore in my opinion when built on land. The history of neglecting wind and renewables in general goes back years J. Politicians often claim we are world leaders etc etc in renewables, that’s a downright lie, what we are is world leaders in buying in from all over the world structures manufactured elsewhere and installed by foreign companies with foreign vessels and crews. All to be paid for at the end of the day by the UK consumer. In regards EV,s well the  Mrs runs a 14 plate  2.0diesel insignia that we’ve owned from 4 months old, zero hsssle apart from general wear and tear, £30 a year to tax and min 55-60 mpg with a 700 mile range on one tankful,it owes us nothing and should go a good while yet, for her there is zero incentive to go EV especially after the power cuts this winter. Myself running a 3.2 ranger and all the towing I do I’ve at the min zero alternative options in the UK, yeah there are some amazing electric pick up options starting to appear in the USA but the chances of them doing RHD are zero. EVs have a place for sure but are a long way from being the solution they are portrayed as, and I most certainly won’t be rushing out to buy anything just yet. Mind you if money was no object I’d not say no to one of these in rhd . I guess that’s another bonus of the Swedish move J, an abundance of decent LHD pick ups. 

Keep the world adventurous forever

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1

Peeps seem to have over looked the pollution caused in the manufacture of the batteries , the mining of the lithium , the transportation across the planet , and finally the disposal of spent cells albeit a certain degree  of recycling that is involved .  Just saying .

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Peeps seem to have over looked the pollution caused in the manufacture of the batteries , the mining of the lithium , the transportation across the planet , and finally the disposal of spent cells albeit a certain degree  of recycling that is involved .  Just saying .

Not overlooking it at all, but I understand what you're saying. I'm actually not trying to make an environmental case for them, though the zero emissions aspect is pleasant. 

I like the idea that they are massively cheaper to run (after a higher 'buy-in' cost) and I can possibly produce my own electricity to fuel them. That energy independence and having less to go wrong is appealing.

• Like 1