Lights for Night working

benedmonds

Tow behind lighting tower, diesel genny with bank of floodlights on a telescoping mast. Available to hire anywhere for not much money. 

Having done many a night by headtorch and truck spotlights, the first time we borrowed a lighting tower was a revelation. Mass illumination from a high point away from the action is extremely helpful.

• Like 3

Would it depend on ur access?

Been 20 year since i done any night shift railway work but any job i've ever been on back then was just a case of a genny on a trolley and u pushed it down the track to the worksite.

Usually just had a couple of big halogen spots, nowadays with LED work lights should be able to get a lot more or a smaller genny

Dunno if a lighting  tower would fit on a track trolley or even 2 ( thats how we moved the tracked chippers, i never really thought it was safe) wieght wise? and u'd probably need something to lift it on off the track trolleys if they could handle it

Even the bigger jobs we done always had crap access so i doubt a lighting tower would of worked for the sites we done

• Like 2

Just thinking u do get some quite good rechargeable LED lights nowadays.

Doubt be good enough as ur main lights but a few LED battery 1's might be quite handy to scatter about the site or if a blind spot up/down a banking.

The Dail 1's from screwfix are pretty good, the erbuarer 1 is sh@te and so is the big green 1 i bought from either there or tool stn

Your going to need both a light tower and headlights for crew. Any less is creating unnecessary risk imo.

The towers are cheap to hire but make sure they have a decent set of lights fitted! Some of the more "yellow" ones are poor for light penetration, (think car park, street lighting..)the whiter the light the better the illumination at ground level but they are more blinding when you have to look towards them, eg walking back down a steep bank etc. 

Petzl do a decent head light as do led lenser. Your crew will absolutely need them as the shadows cast by the main lights make the backside of the trees impossible to see without your own lights.

Kinda feel like I'm stating the obvious here!

Surely you had to state how you would illuminate the site before being granted permission to work railside at night? Is it a rail job or just a job near the tracks for a private client?