Walker killed by cattle....

kevinjohnsonmbe

1 minute ago, Billhook said:

There was a big row some years back when the Churchwarden locked the gate into the Church field for the one day.  There were a couple of houses in the Church field and an ambulance was called to one of them and could not enter and I think after that it has not been locked again

Our church field was donated to the church by a local landowner, for the benefit of the villagers, she neglected to protect it as a village green. When the chapel was demolished the church sold off the lot for development and 8 posh houses stand there now.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sutton said:

I was just asking in case my unlawful efforts at protecting stock would be undone by some new illegality. Don't have much to concern after all. Thanks again.

Technically you should apply for a Traffic Regulation Order but that costs money so as long as the diversion is temporary and not inconvenient...

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Any actually real life cases of the "20yrs permissive path" being upgraded to PROW against a landowners wishes?

Are you looking for information on how to record plublic paths after twenty years' use? Visit the Open Spaces Society...

Not sure how you prove if a path  was closed for one day or if it has being open for 20yrs either?

I know of one - but it was a bit of a special case.  May be able to link details later if time permits.

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Our church field was donated to the church by a local landowner, for the benefit of the villagers, she neglected to protect it as a village green. When the chapel was demolished the church sold off the lot for development and 8 posh houses stand there now.

The naivety of the well intentioned...   A an unexpected windfall purse for the church and the removal of a financial liability.  Any of that money ever find it's way back into community causes I wonder?

6 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

The naivety of the well intentioned...   A an unexpected windfall purse for the church and the removal of a financial liability.  Any of that money ever find it's way back into community causes I wonder?

The story is the money was used to build a new church in another part of town which at the time was the biggest greenfield housing development in europe.

You can see that while most landowners will not want to devalue a piece of land by making it available for the public in perpetuity there are instances where this is the case and the protection a designation of village green offers means this is the way to do it. The corollary is that every encouragement should be given to landowners wishing to give a temporary or limited access to land over which no public rights exist and being able to lodge a document recognised as such with the HA is a protection for the landowner.

• Like 2

mq2.jpg.b2e0c15fea80692dda2475f2355da83e.jpgOn a lighter note.

Here is my mate Reg trying to murder a cow(with calf) by licking its eyeballs out. They seem to enjoy it as obviously does he. He reminds me of one of those cleaner wrasse you see on nature documentaries cleaning the gills of a big fish like a grouper

• Like 7

Just now, Xiucutil said:

mq2.jpg.b2e0c15fea80692dda2475f2355da83e.jpgOn a lighter note.

Here is my mate Reg trying to murder a cow(with calf) by licking its eyeballs out. They seem to enjoy it as obviously does he. He reminds me of one of those cleaner wrasse you see on nature documentaries cleaning the gills of a big fish like a grouper

That's a great pic matey 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 15/02/2022 at 16:48, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

I didn't have chance to come back to you on these points yet Richard.

I was trying to find a previous thread where the farm subsidy thing was discussed in detail.  It might have been this one - but I'm not sure that is the one I was thinking of.  Either way, some great names we don't see so often anymore in there.

I have always felt that, if a subsidy should be paid, then it should be paid to the 'hands on' farmer rather than the absentee land owner.

I also have some skin in the game since the c*nts at HMRC define a business as that which is capable of making a profit.  

Therefore, any farm that relies upon subsidy and would otherwise not be a viable business - cannot, by definition (of HMRC) be a business.  

It should naturally follow therefore, if you can't be a (ag) business then you also can't claim the unbelievably and often overlooked plethora of additional 'business' benefits afforded to the ag sector - reduced planning constraints, reduced council tax, rebated diesel, reduced driver age, relaxed inheritance tax etc etc etc...  The list is truly staggeringly advantageous when compared to just about every other industrial sector.

I know it's been done before. but couldn't resist the opportunity...

Final question...

"....he bought the farm years ago to hide some money I’m guessing? In 2008 I think he said..."

Did you mean your dad or Clarkson??  😂

On the inheritance thing I think that’s one of the reasons that dad hasn’t sold up.

he did look at selling and buying somewhere about a quarter the size as he still wanted land. Trouble is those places are overpriced due to city bankers and the like wanting a big house with 40/50 acres.

capital gains would have eaten most of the difference in price making it unviable (well poor anyway) as the farm is making money now even though he has contractors do 90% of it as he’s old now. If he doesn’t get better it will have to get sold I guess as I won’t be able to afford to buy my sister out. Might be able to sell most of the land and pay her off that way. It really depends on how much tax that will create I suppose.

capital gains does piss me off as it was bought not as an investment but as a home for my grandad and family and afterwards/during and up to know as a home that obviously made a living. But that’s all it was a living. It never made huge money