Old tractor PTO rev counter

Ashes_Firewood

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

Does the tractor’s rev counter not work? It’ll often be marked where 540rpm at the pto is, or a plate will tell the operator ‘540pto at 1800rpm’ for example. 
On a processor accurate pto speed is  not too essential - just run it at a speed that feels and sounds right. 

No it doesn't work. I don't think it does tell you the 540 PTO speed on the rev counter on the 4000 even if it did.

The other tractor we have does tell you but that's got a loader on so want to keep that free for loading the lengths and moving IBCs and bags.

Edited by Ashes_Firewood

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

You can get a laser tacho gun for a few quid, tip'ex the PTO shaft, run the tractor up and see what revs 540 equates to. Then mark your throttle accordingly.  

Something like this?

Now you've put that picture up I've remembered it does have that sticker saying what engine speed you need to get 540 on the PTO. Surely wouldn't be too hard to get the rev counter working again. If its the same on the 4000 then I need 480 on the PTO for the processor so 1600 engine revs if I've worked that out right. Thanks for your help.

Edited by Ashes_Firewood
  • Like 1