Chainsaws, and problems with worth saving?

Tree monkey 1682

Evening guys, 

I have  three saws  two are - (stihl) and one is jonsered ( tanaka). All with faults 🙄

1)  stihl 020 t, ive had  seens an early teen...  It was rebuilt 3 yrs ago due to it sucking in air  through gaskets / crank seals and subsequently loosing tuning - tending to throw tuning. 

Is it worth repairing, scrap or selling on. 

2) saw  stihl ms 201t , has been a pig... Had a a new carb under warranty, ran ok but crappy ... Had to have another carb not under warranty  and expensive  - finally went OK ... Until a job where it flooded itself, then wouldn't start, 50pulls job. 

Worth saving, selling or scrap.? 

Last saw 

3)   jonsered / tanaka 2033.  New old vintage saw  circa mid 2000s ... Set up to run rich by tanaka,  was quite happy running rich... Was slowly breaking I saw... Then it won't idle, on side or   from loop..  ( still under warranty) tried re tuning... Still won't run right. 

Again worth selling, scrapping or salvaging? 

Right so the reason I'm asking this is,  a) we have the major players saying  we're stopping petrol saws or pushing the battery crap. 

B) saws aren't what they used to be and now are getting more complex 

C) saws are going through the roof with cost and aren't possibly worth it.... 

D) stuff is getting more temperamental even if it was run on aspen since new. 

Not really sure where to go with this,   I've been around saws since 9  dismantle was 13.  I hope I don't come across as thick... But don't want to be parting with money on saws that will never be right. Have brought a 360tes  to keep me going until I work out what to do. 

Thanks in advance 

The stihl o20. Was overhauled to be as a back up saw to the  201t... I had fleets of saws less than 3 yrs old until I got done over... 

I basically did loads of arboriculture as a teen,  ran other people's businesses, then after the 2008 crash  business has never been the same.. 

So I can now earn more driving plant than doing technical take downs. 

Stihl has gone more "funny"  I had an ms250 that went back to stihl and this 201t that's never been right even on aspen from new. That was the main climbing saw until it played up in November. 

A very difficult question as without seeing the machines, you cant really tell if they are knackered or relatively fresh.

Not come across the Jonsered but guess it has less value and unless the repair is an hours job, is probably not worth spending time on and parts may be difficult.

The 020T - assuming this is the forerunner of the MS200t not the AVT.....parts are cheap and readily available so if it is reasonably fresh (I have seen them believe me) then probably worth doing as the resale value is high. 

MS201T....if it is flooding, it is probably something simple like a stuck carb needle, resale value is relatively good, parts easy, worth sorting. 

I only have experience of the 020 and the 201.....the 020 have a good following and are sought after despite the age of the saw. If it has strong compression and the crank bearings are good, it is probably worth doing.

You could eBay the lot as single lots and then buy a single saw of choice!

• Like 1

Thanks spud, think local dealer has said 5-6 hrs for the 020t...  Inc pressure tests... But still have that seed of doubt when it comes to reliability. 

The stihl ms201t  had a new carb. But is a pain.. 

Thanks for the input spud,  the has just been loads of dealers, that were messers, current dealer is good. Just don't like flogging a dead donkey when all it will be is a dead donkey!. 

How did you get on with that efco 4100?