Chestnut Honey Fungus Advice

PatrickFirwood

So I went to quote for a job today, a fairly large, dead Horse Chestnut that the customers are looking to have removed. They moved in to the property last November, and the neighbours said the tree has been dead/dying for quite some time. The customers said that there was a lot of fungus growing along the roots and around the base of the tree, unfortunately they picked most of it off, so there wasn't much left to inspect... they said the fungus had a very strong smell. 

So my question is, from the photos does anyone know if this is, or could be Honey Fungus? and if so, what effect this could have on the strength of the root system? Most of the tree is large log wood which will have to be negatively rigged due to obstacles underneath. The patch of rot in the pictures only appears to be effecting that one spot, I bored in to the tree with a chainsaw at 4 different corners and all the other appeared to have sound, solid wood. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

cheers

IMG-5705.jpg

IMG-5703.jpg

IMG-5704.jpg

IMG-5702.jpg

IMG-5701.jpg

I would go the same as mark. Enough room to cut n chick onto the lawn. A couple of sheets of board, get the brash down and followed by the wood onto the brash mat. Makes harder work of clearing up but better than a failed tree.

• Like 2

The old degraded bracket looks like Rigidoporus or Perenniporia to me, difficult to tell from those pics. Other fungi maybe saprophytic. Looks as though the tree may have been in decline then reduced, as a consequence Armillaria may have added to the demise. The newish fence installation probably didn’t help matters either. I’d climb and assess the unions as I went, use much larger anchor and rigging points for the crown then slab and free fall the timber onto boards, tyres or ton sacks. Not sure negative rigging is needed or indeed a great idea with the degradation.

• Like 3

Yeah I see what you mean, where it’s been reduced and lack of decent anchor point may be a tricky little climb but doable from what I can see. I suspect you’ll earn your money. I’d check the union where the co-dom stems form to make sure there wasn’t anything untoward going on. If I was really concerned I’d ratchet it but that may be overkill on this instance. Can’t see from video if there is old honey fungus (black) on the ground. Could always throw line into the top, install a line and give it a good pull about with three of your biggest groundies! You are correct though if honey is present then the roots may be compromised, however with the weather we’ve had lately it’s still standing so that’s one positive!

• Like 2