COP26

kevinjohnsonmbe

6 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

That’s some pretty ‘tight’ scientific analysis! 🤨

The life expectancy of someone born in 1970 is slightly lower than that of, say, my parents, who were born in 1945. My own life expectancy is significantly lower than that, and that of someone born in 2017 is dramatically lower still. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to unwrap. 

Look, I know that I'm talking to the wrong people here, I accept that nothing will sway your opinion until Norfolk is underwater and the boats of climate refugees are either dropped straight into the starvation camps or machine gunned on sight. But here's a little thought, and the supporting document in question, from Noam Chomsky.

Quote (discussing erstwhile President Trump's climate policies)

"And notice that the wrecking ball in the White House just doesn’t give a damn. He’s having fun. He’s serving his rich constituency. So what the hell, let’s destroy the world. And it’s not that they don’t know it. Some months ago, maybe a year ago by now, one of the Trump bureaucracies the National Transportation Administration came out with what I think is the most astonishing document in the entire history of the human species. It got almost no attention. It was a long 500-page environmental assessment in which they tried to determine what the environment would be like at the end of the century. And they concluded, by the end of the century, temperatures will have risen seven degrees Fahrenheit, that’s about twice the level that scientists regard as feasible for organized human life. The World Bank describes it as cataclysmic. So what’s their conclusion? Conclusion is we should have no more constraints on automotive emissions. The reasoning is very solid. We’re going off the cliff anyway. So why not have fun? Has anything like that ever appeared in human history? There’s nothing like it."

PDF document from the NTA:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/ld_cafe_my2021-26_deis_0.pdf

So we've even got climate scientists on your side of the line saying that things are f*cked up,  the situation is beyond all hope, so why even bother trying? Let's just make a few more dollars whole we can!

If you'd like, I can keep dropping the occasional report or study or TED talk or whatever in here to give you something to think about?

But no... it'd be a waste of everyone's time. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, peds said:

The life expectancy of someone born in 1970 is slightly lower than that of, say, my parents, who were born in 1945. My own life expectancy is significantly lower than that, and that of someone born in 2017 is dramatically lower still. This shouldn't be a difficult concept to unwrap. 

Don’t despair Peds, you’re not necessarily talking to the wrong people. 

I simply highlighted the absurdity of that part of the post which referred to something between nothing and catastrophe sometime between the day before yesterday and some time in the future. 

It’s akin to stating I might win the lottery between tonight or 20 years time and it might be somewhere between a pound and a million pounds - a statement like that ain’t gonna generate any enthusiasm to rush out and buy a ticket today. 

• Like 3

Net zero means one of three things:

1. 90+% of us live like medieval peasants.

2. 90+% of us live like 1984 peasants in cities.

3. 90+% of us die from vaccine injury.

4. We also have to nuke China, Russia and India before 2030, because they're not living like peasants anymore and don't seem to want to go back.

5. What's your beef with climate refugees? Diversity is our strength, and we will need them to work the soil anyway.

6. Profit???

7. Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I do wonder if hi tech modern  and net zero are compatible.

Unless there is some leftfield  thing that comes along  like fusion power or AI singularity causes rapid tech advancement) or other extreme changes in the next few decades,...

Hairychest have you seen this website might interest you:

Doubts on progress and technology <!-- Begin Cookie Consent plugin by Silktide - http://silktide.com/cookieconsent...

• Thanks 1