Gaffs?

Micke

Hi.

I use Gecko climbing spurs which I find comfortable. Now I wonder if someone, please, could tell me the different between the “American” and the “Heidelberg” also called “European” gaffs. Not the appearance, that I know, but which one you prefer in which tree and so on.

Thanks in advance

Micke

you would not find the american gaffs better for being longer for getting out on limbs steve?

I climbed on tims the other day and thought they worked better as they over lap the smaller branches and cant slip out... ive got the shorter euro gaffs on mine........but also in the past ive found the american gaffs more hindering and painfull but they where on kliens but on the carbon geckos they seem to work a lot better.

maybe i need a decent session on the euro gaffs before i make my mind up but dont have a decent take down in a while.

The difference is that with the longer gaffs, you have to balance yourself using the toe and heel of your boot.

With the shorter gaffs, it is much easier to balance yourself

longer gaffs are better for real thick loose bark or vines, shorter ones are better for harder smooth bark

very rare you'll need long gaffs in this country IMO

With all the Ivy clad trees i'd having to take down latly longer gaffs are looking more and more attractive.

Short normal gaffs on my Gecko's most times though.