£15/hour

eggsarascal

I was having that conversation with someone the other day. There are very few people who aren't key workers if you think enough about it. One of few we could think of was me; everyone else seems quite important. 

HITCHHIKERS.FANDOM.COM

The Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B was a starship designed to relocate the (largely redundant) useless part of the population from the planet of Golgafrincham. The ship was led by the captain, with Number One and Number Two next in charge. The Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B was a way of removing the basically useless citizens from the planet of Golgafrincham. A variety of stories were formed about the doom of the planet, such as blowing up, crashing into the sun or being eaten by a mutant star g
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, difflock said:

What happens when you’re too old or too frail to be a contributing member of your commune? Do you get reduced hours dropping off to zero the older you get? 

Hmmmm?

Or do they be dumped onto the common purse to be provided for, after not "working for the man" or paying taxes?

A comunderum indeed.

You've hit upon my main 'issue' with voluntary drop out of society type lifestyles - and I do not mean any offence by the term drop-out.

I rather admire the truly self sustaining.

That said, I rather despise those claim to be self sustaining and drop the 'commitment' elements of a society (like paying taxes) but still cling to the 'benefits' such as school, roads, libraries, police, NHS and the more general 'freedoms' to enjoy such a lifestyle which have been borne out of generations of sacrifice from the many.

I guess it's kind of why anarchy has a certain appeal to me.  Nobody pays in and nobody takes out.  Everyone genuinely has to take responsibility for them self.  There would be a sudden, massive reduction in the number of those that 'take' from society but provide nothing into it.   

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You've hit upon my main 'issue' with voluntary drop out of society type lifestyles - and I do not mean any offence by the term drop-out.

That said, I rather despise those claim to be self sustaining and drop the 'commitment' elements of a society (like paying taxes) but still cling to the 'benefits' such as school, roads, libraries, police, NHS and the more general 'freedoms' to enjoy such a lifestyle which have been borne out of generations of sacrifice from the many.

I guess it's kind of why anarchy has a certain appeal to me.  Nobody pays in and nobody takes out.  Everyone genuinely has to take responsibility for them self.  There would be a sudden, massive reduction in the number of those that 'take' from society but provide nothing into it.   

Everybody pays taxes. 24% on everything we buy, pretty much. Carbon taxes on fuel, council taxes, fag taxes, booze taxes, etc etc... What do you say to those who don't earn enough to incur an income tax liability yet pay their minimal social insurance? They get the benefits of a pension, disability allowance, dole possibly, etc? 

Edited by Haironyourchest

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Hang on, how can anyone truly drop out and not use roads? Schools, NHS yes. Do we still have libraries? Most around here have closed, unless you call the bus that comes around once a fortnight a library.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Everybody pays taxes. 24% on everything we buy, pretty much. Carbon taxes on fuel, council taxes, fag taxes, booze taxes, etc etc... What do you say to those who don't earn enough to incur an income tax liability yet pay their minimal social insurance? They get the benefits of a pension, disability allowance, dole possibly, etc? 

Of course your point absolutely stands. Everybody pays tax. 

What I, probably quite clumsily, failed to articulate might best be described by example. 

A chap living ‘off grid’ in the small woodland plot he purchased from woodlandsforsale.scam with solar panels and a compost shitter walking his bin bags the mile or so to the roadside every week for them to be collected by council tax funded bin men. 

Not ‘off grid’ just off paying for his share of what the grid provides. 

On the one hand - who can criticise him when the rich and powerful are doing it on a much greater scale but what happens when ‘the squeezed middle’ decides *uck it, if the rich and greedy as well as the poor and needy can all take the piss - who’s left to pick up the tab?

The whole monetary system is so screwed up it's becoming irrelevant anyway. Fake money, fake value. A European dole bum is "worth" a hundred times more to the global economy than a productive African farmer/miner etc. When humanity figured out how to produce food for thousands of mouths with one man's labour, the whole foundation started to slide. We attribute value wrongly because 99.9% of our "needs" are actually "wants". Why is a dollar worth more than a peso? Because it buys a bigger Mac & Fries? Because you might get bombed if you disagree? Fertile soil, fertile women, fresh water, and manly men with better weapons than the other guys - that's the only true value. **************** it, roll on judgement day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1