£15/hour

eggsarascal

Interesting and also confusing. What's your job title and what qualifies you to do it? I’m a Service Leader in Intelligent Completions. It’s still quite a niche market but massively expanding now. Halliburton (the company I work for) is the biggest provider of Intelligent Completion Products in Norway by a massive margins and there is only 8 of us fully qualified to install them.

Im the only certified instructor and was initially the only rater of competencies in Norway.   

I’ve been with the company since I was 20 (42 now) and started my second apprenticeship in Mechanical Engineering. Worked my way up from there.  

IMG_3961.thumb.jpg.6346c46f5b8b3d563b011684f1a2421b.jpg

Guess which one is me. 🤣
The grumpy one at the back.
So it's totally on the job qualified?
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Interesting thought.

Fag paper calculation. Glasgow to oslo. Economy return.. 0.4 tonnes co2

Equivalent to about 1000 miles in a medium to large petrol car.

So one trip equivalent to about 6 weeks 30 mile commute.

My average commute is probably 4 or 5 miles a day.

Just had to do 25 miles to find some diesel for the next 2 weeks though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Would depend on how you think about living in a van. Drive somewhere. Park up next to your work for the next few weeks. No commute.

Move on somewhere down the road and do the same.

I fly from Aberdeen to Stavanger. That comes up as .3t.

So in reality my footprint to get to Norway to work is no greater than a good portion of the commuting population in the U.K. In fact my carbon footprint is going to be the same If not lower than a lot of Norwegians traveling from Northern Norway or the East of Norway to come down to Stavanger to work. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

The grumpy one at the back.
So it's totally on the job qualified?

I think you could be right! 🤣

On the job qualified is 90% of the oil and gas industry to be fair. It’s changing rapidly now though. But I’ve done a significant amount of training in Houston and Singapore to get to the level I am now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
14 minutes ago, scbk said:
Redfield sounds an interesting place, I've got the book on compost toilets which was written by a former resident. I think I'm too antisocial to live somewhere like that though :vollkommenauf:

Was it dave Darby published by lili?

Yes, useful book!

Years ago I also had their book on firewood, but don't know where that went.

I built a single chamber compost toilet down the bottom of the garden for about £50 this summer. The chamber is an old concrete coal bunker buried in to the slope

So in reality my footprint to get to Norway to work is no greater than a good portion of the commuting population in the U.K. In fact my carbon footprint is going to be the same If not lower than a lot of Norwegians traveling from Northern Norway or the East of Norway to come down to Stavanger to work. 
That would be ignoring the helicopter but yes.

15 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
45 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Read more  

That would be ignoring the helicopter but yes.

Well obviously ignoring the essential travel required to get to the Installation. 

Your point was that in your opinion my commute to Norway was unsustainable but we’ve now learned it’s comparable with a fairly normal office commute. It’s also on a par with many Norwegians who don’t live on the west coast. 

Aberdeen to Stavanger = 1 hour

Aberdeen to Bergen = 1 hour

Oslo to Stavanger = 1 hour. 

But Norway is a very long country. The flight time alone from Hammerfest to Stavanger is over 4 hours. We have many employees dotted around the remote parts of Norway. 

Seems like Im quite the green Employee being just an hour away from hop off point. 😁

Well obviously ignoring the essential travel required to get to the Installation. 

Your point was that in your opinion my commute to Norway was unsustainable but we’ve now learned it’s comparable with a fairly normal office commute. It’s also on a par with many Norwegians who don’t live on the west coast. 

Aberdeen to Stavanger = 1 hour
Aberdeen to Bergen = 1 hour
Oslo to Stavanger = 1 hour. 

But Norway is a very long country. The flight time alone from Hammerfest to Stavanger is over 4 hours. We have many employees dotted around the remote parts of Norway. 

Seems like Im quite the green Employee being just an hour away from hop off point. [emoji16]
I agree your greener than some of your colleagues. I still don't see it as sustainable in the grand scheme of things,

Just now, muttley9050 said:

I agree your greener than some of your colleagues. I still don't see it as sustainable in the grand scheme of things,

We need oil, we need gas. Both have been in the recent news regarding their supply and delivery. Our dependency on both will see my working life out. You use your fair share of the products I help produce as does everyone else on here. 

We’ve covered how my carbon footprint is on a par with many U.K. office commuters. I have a feeling my footprint is less than quite a few here as well. 

You really can’t expect every oil and gas worker to live within 30 miles of a Heli-port surely? If you think my commute is bad we have plenty Cementers who live in the US and commute to Norway. 😁

In the grand scheme of things me traveling to work is quite insignificant. Im

a key worker don’t you know. ;) 

• Like 2