Pollarding large willows

I have a number of very large willows which are in danger of falling and blocking the river.

I have some funding but it will only pay for a third of the work needed if it is done by a surgeon.

Could I employ a 360 with a shear to do the donkey work and use the tree surgeon to tidy up and ensure we get some live pollards.

Any guidance on pollarding very large maiden willows would be appreciated.

TIA OG

Crack willows I reckon as well.

Dont think they’re maidens, just lapsed coppice/ pollard.

They should come back from any sort of battering, so don’t worry about the niceties of it.

That fencing will need to come down to make life easier.

Can’t help about the 360 side of things.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 4

My thoughts would be:

Drop the fence, fell each stem at the bowl just above fence height then put the wire back up.

The pic looks like they are all reasonably weighted towards the field, if not could you pull them with a winch/machine/truck etc?

Willows like that will grow back from any and all butchery so don’t stress about being gentle with them as they will just grow!

• Like 1

My thoughts would be:
Drop the fence, fell each stem at the bowl just above fence height then put the wire back up.

The pic looks like they are all reasonably weighted towards the field, if not could you pull them with a winch/machine/truck etc?

Willows like that will grow back from any and all butchery so don’t stress about being gentle with them as they will just grow!

I was going to write basically exactly that.
  • Like 1