Getting rid of ivy!!

john87

9 hours ago, john87 said:

Top and bottom of it is that ivy DOES kill and damage trees, and Cambridge JC is trying to investigate the spread of the stuff which seems to have upset the "treehugging" types.. You can GUARANTEE though, that they have not got 4 feet of brambles in THEIR own garden "because insects might like it" nor have they taken all the windows out of their house, as, "birds and bats might like to go in there"

Seem very strange to me that you cannot even let a rope rub on a tree, let along spike your way up it, lest you hurt the thing, but it is ok to let ivy strangle it to death??

Weird...

john..

So John have you got proof that ivy DOES kill trees?

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You are a spectacularly ill informed.

The tree hugging sorts you speak of are (at least in my case) time served tree pros who have worked around and often in Ivy for many years, tree huggers we are not.

Ivy does not strangle a tree to death, otherwise there would be dead trees everywhere as   there is Ivy on trees everywhere.

What do you do John?

Hi there, I am not a "proper" arb at all, just a sort of amateur i suppose. I am doing my best to look after a badly neglected site of about 60 acres with many many trees, many of which are covered with ivy. The site has been neglected for many years.

The ivy has been getting worse the last few years, so i will cut it all back when i have time..

Costs me a lot of time and my own money to do it, not just the ivy i mean, but some things are just worth doing!!

I do not know much about this sort of thing, got a job to know one tree from another!! but i do my best!!

john..

Just now, gary112 said:

So John have you got proof that ivy DOES kill trees?

Well, i know of one tree, where you would think that the bottom two thirds were dead. I was going to cut it down actually, but when the top third got its foliage it looked great.. I would imagine that left unchecked the ivy would finish it off completely..

Might be that the tree is dying anyway, no idea, i do not know that much about trees.. Lots of trees on the same site do seem to be struggling though, but no idea why.. Loads have suckers, i believe that is a bad sign?? An a conifer tree has died, well, half of it for no apparent reason.. there is another tree that has some sort of disease, I will get photos as you lot will know what the problem is straight away..

john..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

Well, i know of one tree, where you would think that the bottom two thirds were dead. I was going to cut it down actually, but when the top third got its foliage it looked great.. I would imagine that left unchecked the ivy would finish it off completely..

Might be that the tree is dying anyway, no idea, i do not know that much about trees.. Lots of trees on the same site do seem to be struggling though, but no idea why.. Loads have suckers, i believe that is a bad sign?? An a conifer tree has died, well, half of it for no apparent reason.. there is another tree that has some sort of disease, I will get photos as you lot will know what the problem is straight away..

john..

So you don,t know for sure then?

10 minutes ago, john87 said:

So , all three thirds are alive then ? 🙂 ....Imagination . Sponge Bob had a box that he and Patric went into when they wanted to use their imagination . Used to drive Squidwood mad !

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, john87 said:

john..

I have to admire your willingness to opine on stuff of which you have almost no knowledge.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1