Rhodedendrons, Oaks and ramorum

Andy Collins

Has anyone else heard of this link being a possible cause of Sudden Oak Death? Its believed that Rhodies are the carrier, much as the bark beetle carries the Dutch Elm Disease. One point I suppose is that rhodies cant fly? But what if they are under planted around oaks? Thoughts please?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhodedendron is about to be added to schedual 9 of the wildlife and countryside act making it illegal to plant anywhere outside of domestic gardens.....at bloody last

sorry it doesnt answer your question but i thought it may be of interest

I've 3.5 acres of oak woodland infested with rhodie, can't get to the base of the trees for the stuff.

No problems in there, all trees nice and healthy.

Meeting with forestry officer to talk about grants to remove all the rhodie at the end of the month.

Trouble is, you can carry out work straight away but grants not payable till 2009

Thanks for your help on this, I knew about the SOD, but wasnt aware of the connection between the Rhodies and oaks. Its a private garden thats being planted up, with some 40 large rhodies, then camellias and azaleas, as under planting for various varieties of trees, including Q palustris, rubra, Carpinus, Aesculus hip. Briotii and P syvestris. I originally tried to talk the client out of planting the rhodies, due to the factor of changing the soil pH, but it has been an interesting project.

Rhodedendron is about to be added to schedual 9 of the wildlife and countryside act making it illegal to plant anywhere outside of domestic gardens.....at bloody last

sorry it doesnt answer your question but i thought it may be of interest

I heard that Robinia and Holm Oak are also on that list. Shame, I like them.