Maneuvering Big Firewood Rounds on the Splitter with Ease

7 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Had to Google that but looks like a "bush cords" works out at around 5m3 of loose logs. You crates would hold around 1.2m3 of loose logs each. 250m3 per year part time is good going but would have thought it enough to be worth investing in some more suitable kit.

A larger saw will have the advantage of being able to run a longer bar. Being able to just cut from one side is a big bonus for firewood. Plus the extra torque will enable you to just keep on cutting even when the chain is less than perfect. Sure a perfectly sharp chain is best but I hardly notice when my MS460 with a 25" bar has slightly dulled whereas my 560XP with a 20" cuts great but has to be spot on the cut well.

Thank you. In simpler terms of what a bush cord is, not quite metric like your country and mine use, but a bush cord is stacked 16 inch logs stacked 4 ft high, 4 ft wide and 8 ft long. I dont know what measure your plywood is, but we use feet for that measurement in Canada, which is 4 ft x 8 ft, so I use as reference a pallet of plywood stacked 4 ft high to describe a bush cord to people that are unfamiliar with the term. Those crates hold just under a face cord or 1/3 of a bush cord. Even simpler, I fill 50 to 100 crates per year. I would like to have a second saw one day, I would like to have two of everything.

6 hours ago, nepia said:

What you're missing - in a polite way! - is ease and speed of cutting as Woodworks says.  Cutting from one side only will save you time and hassle.

You're a busy man who achieves a lot on his own 🙌 so time is money.  If you're cutting rings that large regularly then a ~70cc saw running a 25" bar would be a revelation to you.  Yes it's a big step up but you'd still have your 261 for smaller stuff.

You seem to know tree guys; go and have a play with some of their saws.

No criticism here, I'm just trying to help!

I appreciate any criticism. I do my research but never had any in person instruction but experience has taught me a lot as well

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

One day I will get a 462 with a big bar. As long as I don't have to fix everything all the time 😀

Husqvarna 572XP would be my choice  . 462 is good so are the offerings from Dolmar and Echo in that size saw.  If you want to go all high tech the Stihl 500i  would be showy 🙂 80cc saw with the weight of a 60cc saw . Very juicy though !                            

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

Husqvarna 572XP would be my choice  . 462 is good so are the offerings from Dolmar and Echo in that size saw.  If you want to go all high tech the Stihl 500i  would be showy 🙂 80cc saw with the weight of a 60cc saw . Very juicy though !                            

Actually, I would love to get the 500i, I haven't priced it, but I'm guessing almost $2000 CDN, in comparison, my 261C is $825. I dont know much about any other saws but looks like Husq seems to be right up there with Stihl in some sort, Echo, not far behind, seems like that to me anyway. I just bought it last spring, I could've gone bigger after selling my old 261C for $400. I made the most money ever last year in 13 years of self-employment, but I always have to think of costs. I also have 3 rents to pay, all cheap, but they add up. Two splitters, two trucks, a boat, maintenance never ends.

2 minutes ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

Actually, I would love to get the 500i, I haven't priced it, but I'm guessing almost $2000 CDN, in comparison, my 261C is $825. I dont know much about any other saws but looks like Husq seems to be right up there with Stihl in some sort, Echo, not far behind, seems like that to me anyway. I just bought it last spring, I could've gone bigger after selling my old 261C for $400. I made the most money ever last year in 13 years of self-employment, but I always have to think of costs. I also have 3 rents to pay, all cheap, but they add up. Two splitters, two trucks, a boat, maintenance never ends.

Understood bud .

• Like 1

I really like cutting into oak, it just chews right up. It's softer than woods like sugar maple, beech, ash and black locust. I've had up to 1.4 meter diameter oaks come in, its excessive work to cut them into rings but I like the challenge and it's always nice to have oak in the inventory. I'll use the technique in the video to split and will only cut rings with the saw if they're too asymmetrical can't be rolled to the splitter.