First stump grinder

Bobotheclown

Hey guys, I’m looking for a bit of help. Recently I decided to purchase a small stump grinder from FR Jones. A DR PRO, very small bit of kit small 15hp Briggs and Stratton engine used for taking small stumps out just below the ground level. The demand I’ve found for it is much bigger than I had anticipated and now I’m considering starting a stump grinding business. What I was hoping for was a bit of advice from you all into what stump grinder I should be looking at getting to make an ideal first ‘proper’ machine. I’ve been seeing the predator 460 and the Carlton SP 2010 and would want something along those lines in that price range. I live in Glasgow and always have hard to get gardens so something tracked wouldn’t really be ideal. Thanks in advance guys 

50 minutes ago, Bobotheclown said:

Hey guys, I’m looking for a bit of help. Recently I decided to purchase a small stump grinder from FR Jones. A DR PRO, very small bit of kit small 15hp Briggs and Stratton engine used for taking small stumps out just below the ground level. The demand I’ve found for it is much bigger than I had anticipated and now I’m considering starting a stump grinding business. What I was hoping for was a bit of advice from you all into what stump grinder I should be looking at getting to make an ideal first ‘proper’ machine. I’ve been seeing the predator 460 and the Carlton SP 2010 and would want something along those lines in that price range. I live in Glasgow and always have hard to get gardens so something tracked wouldn’t really be ideal. Thanks in advance guys 

You will not go wrong with a predator, cracking machines and spot on customer service 👍

I’ve only used older carltons so not a fair comparison. Predator, fsi, Carlton and bandit all have there fans, there all have good and not so good points. 
look at what they all have and decide what suits you best. If you don’t want tracks I would strongly advise getting a turntable like the predator 460 your back will thank you. 

• Like 1

I'm on my 4th grinder now, Vermeer SC292 is the current one I'm using. Previous one is a Vermeer SC30TX,  tracked totally hydraulic. Would not recommend it if I was paid to. Had it 6 years, always off the road, the 292 on the other hand is excellent. Same Koehler engine but about 30% more efficient, more aggressive in the stump, better all round machine. I was offered the Sc392 with the 35 hp, the equivalent to Mick's Rayco, but couldn't afford the extra £6k. I totally ignored the advice on here when I asked about the SC30TX, not fit for purpose, too slow, machine slows down when fluid hot etc etc. Wish I had now, that's the problem about being a stubborn git. Maybe the much higher hp hydraulic machines are ok, but not the smaller ones.  In my opinion.

That's all I do these days, stump grinding. The 30tx is basically made for the hire market, not for being hammered day in and day out. Again, it depends on of often you are going to use the grinder, little and often or as your full time job. I had the Predator 450, nearly killed me, knees shot to pieces swivelling that about all day, apparently the turntable 460 is in a different class, much easier on operator and machine. Build quality wasn't great to be honest. Hand brake lever snapped a couple of times, belt change was a drama in the field. Needing to take a wheel off, nuts were hard to get to. Best thing was the multi tip teeth to change, sod to sharpen though.

My advice, listen to people who use grinders a lot, don't be a clever bugger and go your own way without taking good advice. I've learnt to my cost. What I don't want now is all the swine who give me that advice ripping the crap out of me. "We told you so!" Quiet at the back Dempsey!

• Like 2