only getting £40 per day

robertcrisp

this guy is teaching you a very valuable lesson that you wont understand or appreciate for a good few years, if i was 19 i would say he was a miserable sod, but i have run my own business now since 1999, i have seen guys come and go from 15-50, as the years go on i pay less and less and treat them more like staff than friends. simply because i have had it thrown back in my face for years, you have to earn respect, i was nieve enough to give it straight away. Any future staff will be on peace work just like me, my first day self emplyed in the woods i had a 120 mile round trip in my car, all my own kit and i made £15, i stuck it for 4 weeks and chucked it because i couldnt make any money and was out of my depth, i hated the boss and felt he should just give me more money, but why should he, he owed me nothing, i just couldnt deliver.

Get your head down, work harder than anyone else, and be your own man, dont let the other lads get you down or fall into the 'sit in the van as long as you can' squad. Be early, work late and say thank you, this is a very small industry that has got a lot smaller thanks to this wonderfull forum.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think you are overpaid :lol:

only joking just put up with it m8 for your training,you got to think how much your going to earn the guy,i'd just bite the bullet & think of the rewards when you pass,its not as if you are going to work for this guy fulltime

& think in the future you might be the one training guys would you pay top bucks to someone on work experience?

dont want to sound harsh but we've all been there,just make sure you do well all the best:thumbup:

not being funny but ive just had a student leave us his a good lad and everything but untill they buy equipment or pay insurances etc i think 40 a day is good . at the end of the day they are learning from us THE REAL WORLD.

I found college teaches them everything they will ever need to now ONCE

and then the box is ticked and its all forgotten.

i put my old student on the spot once a nice big macra take down and i told him right your the boss how we going to do this ? he replys we could do this and we could do that... stop there i says could is not good enough how are we going to do it ??????

so many little things all add up to one big thing .

qualifications are a form of recognition of skills but experience is everything imo

Interesting thread. We regularly get folk on here saying

" I am just out of the forces/retired fireman etc etc. I have done my ticket and wanted to know how much I can earn. I need £400 a week just to pay the bills"

The replies are always, you need experience but you should be on £60, £70, £80 a day.

Now we have an educated and qualified guy. Who will have to struggle on less than £40, just for the greater good.

I agree that a student placement should just cover costs really. But I can also see why this guy cannot figure out the pay scale and attitude to new guys.

Good luck mate. If you have 240 hrs to do, make sure your sh%t hot, mega hard working super example of an employee. Prove the guy that you were worth twice the wage, you never know where that might take you.

Or, he might take advantage of your good nature. In which case, do the hours with good grace and walk away having learnt another good lesson.

thanks alot you guys think i understand now and what i need to do. thanks

thats one of the best responses to a student bashing i have seen on here, you will do just fine mate, welcome to the forum:thumbup1:

It is tough at first, but this job is tough, you are still at college probably getting promised the earth and looking through magazines and websites thinking how cool this job is, well you have just landed with a bump and i hope we havent put you off but only reasured you that this is standard procedure for a newbie tree rat:thumbup:

with a bit of luck he'll do what my old gaffer did with me

the more experience i got, the more money i got, the more jobs i could do without him having to check, the more money he earnt

the more money he earnt, the more money, better gear, more holidays, etc i got.

you've just not got to let him take the piss.

usin your own gear is out of order..fuel, chains, wear n tear on the saw

should all be stood by the firm

my groundie at the minute is a good 'un, he even gets his dinner bought ffs

as said earlier..head down, take it all in n if he dicks you about too much.....walk