only getting £40 per day

robertcrisp

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm now 20 years old and have been working for a different large landscape company for over a year now. I started on £6ph, but the company put me through a college course 'train to gain' scheme thing and I got my NVQ 2 in Amenity Horticulture from it. They also sent me to London on a course that gave me my PA1 & PA6 chemical tickets.

I think the company has given you quite a bit there considering youve only been with them for 12 months so I wouldnt be complaining that you havent had a pay rise tbh.

I deliberately avoided mentioning certain trades, but are said arb labourers planning on gaining quals to further their careers in the industry or just happy with being at the bottom, perhaps keeping a would be trainee out of a job?

if a would be climber let an unqualified brash dragger stop him then he wouldnt last 5 minutes up a tree anyway, i started as a trainnee climber and was in charge of the squad with in 3 months and i was 23 at the time. And i worked with lads that were amazing groundies, but thats what they wanted to be, turn up, work like hell and go home at 5pm, i was there an hour before them and 4 hours after than everyday and the weekends too. dont let anyone stand in your way of your dreams, they might bully you or threaten you, but there comes a time in your life where you have to man up or go home:001_smile:

His point is these labourers are filling positions that could/should be taken up by propper qualified groundsmen, so the many qualified guys who do not have work cannot even get there foot in the door. I don't see how 'Manning up' would solve this problem?

Too many stary eye'd youngsters about imo, Dreaming of 200ft take downs and 50k a year, 5 hitch climbers and 10 idonised snap hooks hanging off thier harness, If you've less than 2 (maybe even 3) years experience you cannot moan about money imo, As until your up to speed you cost a company time and money because you have to be shown everything,

Drag the brash, Work in the rain and be glad of the days when the boss says, "Here you go, we've got some time on this one, you fell/climb it"

I'm based just off the A12 near Ipswich, Suffolk mate.

Hmmm yes and no in my opinion. I've been there since september 2008, and was taken on really as a basic worker. I paid over a monthes wages to get my basic chainsaw tickets, so now I can do basic treework for them. Just would be nice to recieve a slight increase, to reflect the extra responsibility I've taken on. I certainly don't feel hard done by, but feel now is the time to make the jump to proper tree work.

His point is these labourers are filling positions that could/should be taken up by propper qualified groundsmen, so the many qualified guys who do not have work cannot even get there foot in the door. I don't see how 'Manning up' would solve this problem?

That was what I was getting at but SWB has a point. If you can prove you have worth then there shouldn't be a question over who does the work imo

Too many stary eye'd youngsters about imo, Dreaming of 200ft take downs and 50k a year, 5 hitch climbers and 10 idonised snap hooks hanging off thier harness, If you've less than 2 (maybe even 3) years experience you cannot moan about money imo, As until your up to speed you cost a company time and money because you have to be shown everything,

Drag the brash, Work in the rain and be glad of the days when the boss says, "Here you go, we've got some time on this one, you fell/climb it"

spot on!!!

Yeah, but usuaully you can spot these types a mile off, all mouth no trousers as ever:laugh1:. But how much better is a sh*t for brains brash rat with no ambition, that it takes you 3 months to teach how to fuel up and tie a saw onto your line correctly, and typically struggles to understand any word involving more than 2 syllables:laugh1:

I know exactly what he means billy. My point is, if some think they cant get a job because someone else has it that shouldnt because of a piece of paper, then this is the reason they arent working. But all this is hypethetical of course. If you read my post properly, the manning up is the answer for the situation i described.