only getting £40 per day

robertcrisp

Billy I think you have rather an inconsiderate out look on things.

Yes having children is a personal choice, but is those children's taxes that will pay for our pensions and health care when we are old and buggered.

Years ago a working man would ask his boss for a pay rise upon the birth of a child, I don't see a problem with that.

Maybe, but Racing motocross takes money too, but no one pays me extra for it, just another expensive decision. Also I've been on the wrong end of that situation with a less skilled older worker than myself so maybe alittle bitter :P I was not aware that it used it be common place for people to be payed more purely for the birth of a child, I wouldn't be too eager to do it unless it made thme work harder or better though:lol:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like I`m paying my groundie too much. £50 a day and no tickets!!!

mind you it is on a casual basis, only 2 days work this week and nothing else booked in yet!! Plus he only drags and feeds the chipper no chainsaw work at all.

My man is the same, but I pay him £65 as he will graft when required, doesn't moan and has initiative.

When studying my work placement gave me a plant ID book for my first two

weeks work experience and I gained from the experience. I had to drive to each job, and worked my rear off day in day out. I ended up working for the guy in the holidays and on weekends then once I finished the course he took me on full time. Hard yakka pays off in the end and now I have a great friend in the industry if I decided to go back down to Dunedin (NZ).:001_smile:

I suggest take it on the chin, grin and bear it and you will be the better for it!:thumbup:

I don't mean to derail the thread and I know this may get some members goat up, but a few people have commented on having unqualified groundies.

Knowing how many people there are who have quals and are looking for work (regularly posting on arbtalk as proof) surely this is a bit unfair? Kind of keeping people out of the industry? I don't go labouring for Corgi gas companies or electricity boards

I deliberately avoided mentioning certain trades, but are said arb labourers planning on gaining quals to further their careers in the industry or just happy with being at the bottom, perhaps keeping a would be trainee out of a job? I started off labouring unqualified but quickly got a few tickets (within weeks) under my belt, as this was just the starting point of a (hopefully) long career

Read this post from first page to here and found it very interesting.

When I started off in landscaping, I did nothing but litter pick and changing public litter & dog bins for 7 monthes. I was learning nothing, which is ultimately why I left, but I knew that I was building up some figures in my bank.

I think a low wage is bearable if your getting knowledge of the trade in return. I'm now 20 years old and have been working for a different large landscape company for over a year now. I started on £6ph, but the company put me through a college course 'train to gain' scheme thing and I got my NVQ 2 in Amenity Horticulture from it. They also sent me to London on a course that gave me my PA1 & PA6 chemical tickets.

With the money I'd been saving I bought all my own chainsaw PPE and basic forestry tools and I've just successfully used the money I'd saved to put myself through my CS30 & CS31.

My company will still not give me a pay rise and I can't see that I can learn anything about tree work with them. So I feel now is the time to start to move into the trade and I understand that I'm not going to be on £100 a day over night.

So that's my story, now I'm faced with the tricky task of finding work without experience!

My contribution to the topic though would be to NEVER leave a job on bad terms. Calling your old boss a tw*t as you walk, is only going to give you a bad name in industry.

Thats my 2p anyway, sorry for the essay :001_tt2: