log splitter dilemma

DN22 Gardening

hi all

right.. i'll guarentee this subjects been covered before, but, wtf, lets go over it again :001_tt2:

i'm a sole trader, just me n a groundie.

sold out of logs this year, a few tipper loads, but mainly nets :thumbup:

so for next year i'm going to get as many logs as poss.

the question is, what type / make / style / power source of log splitter do you proper firewood guys recomend

at the moment, i'm cutting my logs into 8/10" sections. storing them in the yard, and splitting on quiet days...

loose stacking on pallets under cover

currently got about 3 ton for next year, but expect alot more.

sold about 20 ton this year

got a mate who can get me some wooden potato boxes to put the logs in.

space is tight, so i'm thinking maybee get a skid steer in summer ( when the cash starts coming in again), to lift the tatty boxes

this would have the option to then purchase further implements i.e. stump grinder, log splitter, forks, bucket. etc

used to work for a firm in melton who had a big self made diesel towable job. 2 man operation, but fairly fast cycle on the ram. in a day 2 of us did a mountain of logs.

had a look at one of the electric upright jobs that are on ebay. u need two hands on the levers to activate the ram. looks fairly slow...any one used one

what i'm thinking is, do i get the £400 leccy job off ebay for now, and upgrade to a bigger, better one later, do i chuck a grand at my fitter mate and get him to make me a diesel one, or do i just go straight to the big boys on here n buy one off the shelf.

cash isn't exactly flowing at the moment but its there for the right tool.

any advise would be greatfullly recieved coz my heads spinning, what with this, and trying to decide what to do about vehicles this year :lol::lol:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have you had a look at Oxdale products, they do a good splitter, I think it comes in a range of power supplies, electric, off tractor, motor - its a good product with a single spool lever that could be operated by one man quite quick. - try google oxdale - they usually go to APF etc - and they are reasonably priced

Currently using a petrol driven WL10 BULL D.P.G supplied from fuelwood. May not be the fastest splitter but goes through everything. Had it for three years and only problem was a small leak on the hydralics, which fuelwood sent me a replacement washer, free of charge, that sorted it out.

The plus point to this machine is that the working hight is perfect drawback is that it a pain to move around the yard, on your own, if its not solid ground.

I've been working in a similar way to you dobermamdave, selling work byproduct and splitting on quiet days. last year or the maybe the year before I brought a 'leccy' vertical splitter. An ALKO 5500; 5 and a half tonne hydraulic. It does a good job but yes it it fairly slow and needs both hands on the levers. Retail was close to £700 but a paid a fair bit less. It's a quality bit of kit and dont regret it but i do still use the axe a fair bit cos its quicker. If you're looking at fire wood production on any sort of scale I would get something more professional (QUICKER) which will probably cost you more £.

Not all stuff of ebay is crap! there are some good splitters on there just avoid the chinese ones there a bit iffy, i know i got one lol. Oxdale products are v good, tested one and a good price aswell. Why not get your mate to make you one then you can make it to your own spec and get plenty of power.