Jump to content
  • 0
Ashley_smith

Pollarding trees

Question

Hi

 

my parents have a few trees that require some work! They have a maple of some description, it has dark red leafs? That needs re-pollarding when would this best be done? Would waiting until next winter be best or could it be done through the summer? 
 

the second tree is a big oak, it’s been reduced about 5 years ago but now they are thinking of having that pollarded! When would the best time to get someone to sort that? They want it doing soonish so it’s not blocking the light trough the summer!

 

pic of the oak treeE365C29D-0BFF-4813-8CCB-3879BCF3958A.thumb.jpeg.8ff5f948c4a0fc81f7af9c78c47a2fbc.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
5 minutes ago, Paul Cleaver said:

That's a nice Oak, why do you want to ruin it by pollarding?

 

It has been pollarded of sorts before and then as said reduced 5 years ago by tip prune. 

I would reduce back to between old prune cuts, so it still has a bit of shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
5 minutes ago, woody paul said:

It has been pollarded of sorts before and then as said reduced 5 years ago by tip prune. 

I would reduce back to between old prune cuts, so it still has a bit of shape. 

I think I would remove any rubbing branches and deadwood if it were mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I've seen council contractors pollarding London Planes while they're in leaf but I think its better to do this before the tree is in full growth so depending upon where you are in the country and whether the tree is in a micro climate but generally before the end of the month.  You are also at the start of nesting season so although you can do tree work you need to check for nest building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Mid winter when the sap is down.
Leave a leafy twig/buds at the top though.
In France pollarding oaks is very common on field boundaries.
It will probably explode with epicormic growth over the next few years if pollarded.
Nice tree though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Mid winter when the sap is down.
Leave a leafy twig/buds at the top though.
In France pollarding oaks is very common on field boundaries.
It will probably explode with epicormic growth over the next few years if pollarded.
Nice tree though.
emoji106.png

Thanks for the reply’s I know you can’t quote with out looking at the job but have you got any ball park figure’s for the oak tree pollarding? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Thanks for the reply’s I know you can’t quote with out looking at the job but have you got any ball park figure’s for the oak tree pollarding? 

Very ball park £1200.
For a decent job.
Hard to tell how high and spreading it is though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
19 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:


Very ball park £1200.
For a decent job.
Hard to tell how high and spreading it is though.
emoji106.png

Thanks that’s around what some of the local lads had quoted 👍 is it ok to have the work done through the summer? Think I read some where that it’s not ok when it’s coming into leaf but once leafs are established and the sap/ water levels have stabilised then it’s ok? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 25/02/2021 at 06:29, Ashley_smith said:

Hi

 

my parents have a few trees that require some work! They have a maple of some description, it has dark red leafs? That needs re-pollarding when would this best be done? Would waiting until next winter be best or could it be done through the summer? 
 

the second tree is a big oak, it’s been reduced about 5 years ago but now they are thinking of having that pollarded! When would the best time to get someone to sort that? They want it doing soonish so it’s not blocking the light trough the summer!

 

pic of the oak treeE365C29D-0BFF-4813-8CCB-3879BCF3958A.thumb.jpeg.8ff5f948c4a0fc81f7af9c78c47a2fbc.jpeg

I think you'll have to wait until August September time to do the purple maple. I think if you cut it now it will bleed as the sap is probably rising already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Thanks that’s around what some of the local lads had quoted is it ok to have the work done through the summer? Think I read some where that it’s not ok when it’s coming into leaf but once leafs are established and the sap/ water levels have stabilised then it’s ok? 

Get it done ASAP.
Before the leaves pop in April/may

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.