Saw logs required

Dan.masterman

If this is in wrong place please tell

me, couldn’t seem to find a more suitable forum

I’m looking for Larch saw logs for delivery to BA4 Somerset.

3.7m and I’m going to be milling them to 2” x 6” and 2” x 8” for small build project

I will be manual loading on and off mill

so ideally nothing more than 30/35 cm diameter.

this is my first time looking to buy roundwood in bulk so some advise also needed on what’s minimum order size/price. 
what else would anyone need to know to give me a delivered price?

thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan.masterman said:

If this is in wrong place please tell

me, couldn’t seem to find a more suitable forum

I’m looking for Larch saw logs for delivery to BA4 Somerset.

3.7m and I’m going to be milling them to 2” x 6” and 2” x 8” for small build project

I will be manual loading on and off mill

so ideally nothing more than 30/35 cm diameter.

this is my first time looking to buy roundwood in bulk so some advise also needed on what’s minimum order size/price. 
what else would anyone need to know to give me a delivered price?

thanks

Yeah Andy is right you will usually need to buy a full lorry load, which is 26 tons or so.  Also you will need access for full size timber lorries.

Larch is scarce unless you are licensed for diseased stock.  Douglas Fir might be more realistic and just as good for most purposes, in fact most sawmills say it is much better to cut.

Have you spoken to @BigJ on here?  

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

I think you’ll struggle to get loads under 10t with 20t being the norm. I could be wrong but larch seems a bit scarce these days but I’ve seen £80 a ton and more being banded about.

Any particular reason that 2x8 and 2x6 needs to be larch? Could Spruce or DF work just as well?

Cheers. Yeah Douglas fir could be a goer.

wanted larch for its durable heartwood as don’t want to have to treat any of the timbers as its going into structures within my small woodland and don’t want to be adding any more chemicals to the world I’d possible. 

40 minutes ago, Big J said:

Larch is uncommon now. I work close to you and have only had only large larch job in recent years. 

As Andy says, would other species be considered? I have Hemlock available in Chard in April. Very nice quality indeed.

Cheers. April might be bit late as I’m looking to get these structures up by then. 
Is hemlock durable needing no treatments once dawn?

3 minutes ago, Dan.masterman said:

Cheers. Yeah Douglas fir could be a goer.

wanted larch for its durable heartwood as don’t want to have to treat any of the timbers as its going into structures within my small woodland and don’t want to be adding any more chemicals to the world I’d possible. 

If the timber is out of the elements I’m not sure you’d need to treat other softwoods anyway? 

Cladding would obviously be different.

You’re  gonna love me for slapping a mix of burst oil and AFT around the bases of my fence posts then. 🤣