At work today

gary112

3 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

New (to us) chipper arrived today, oh dear. Well it worked ok for the hour or so we ran it on little stuff, but I ran over my rucksack and I can verify Forst chippers do break a lot.

It smashed my lunch to smithereens and worst of all my coveted travel cup brought by the OH from Germany, gutted.

It was definitely the curse of the Forst and not the operator (is what I'll tell her!).

DSC_0426.thumb.JPG.032ff8aef98c2b14d16507c61614fba9.JPG

DSC_0427.thumb.JPG.b4e441fd689f53890712771d6fdf8811.JPG

In all fairness that cup still looks like a cup despite being run over by half the total weight of the chipper? Does it still hold fluid? If it does it could possibly still outlast the Forst with their reputation, bit like Top Gears Hilux🤔

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

In all fairness that cup still looks like a cup despite being run over by half the total weight of the chipper? Does it still hold fluid? If it does it could possibly still outlast the Forst with their reputation, bit like Top Gears Hilux🤔

It's worse than it looks in the pic, pretty much oval and leaking. Even if it still held liquid I can't unscrew the lid anyway.

Quite impressive that it's not squished completely flat but that's German engineering, unlike my rolls and scones!

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

It's worse than it looks in the pic, pretty much oval and leaking. Even if it still held liquid I can't unscrew the lid anyway.

Quite impressive that it's not squished completely flat but that's German engineering, unlike my rolls and scones!

In some parts of these Isles your rolls would be call Pita bread now so could still be eaten? Coming from north of the border I bet you still ate then anyway😂

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hobbled home from work after a mere couple of hours today. A slip on a banking while lifting/turning and the sciatica 'knife' plunged in.

Had it before but this time is bloody agony. Went down like a premiership footballer at the chipper hopper and it took fully half an hour to get me up. The lads were great. Was dressed in my coat so I didn't get cold, layed a tarp on the opposite verge out of the work zone and I was taken like an elderly gent across the road and layed on it. "Don't worry Doug I've got this, I'm used to taking my grandad out, he's a bit more nimble though", "no wait just now, we'll never make it over before that bus comes in 20mins". So they left me there to stretch and see if it eased while they cracked on for a bit, stranded like some sad little turtle or a cowped ewe in full view of the road, thought a few times a car was actually going to stop or call an ambulance the looks I was getting!

However the stretching helped a bit and I made it home and our friendly physio will fit me in tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to getting moving in the morning at all.

I'm fairly confident the boss will ask if I learned anything at all from the lifting and handling course we did recently...

of course I learned, I'm just not putting it into practice. Old dogs and new tricks I suppose but I'm learning now in hindsight.

• Sad 5

22 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Hobbled home from work after a mere couple of hours today. A slip on a banking while lifting/turning and the sciatica 'knife' plunged in.

Had it before but this time is bloody agony. Went down like a premiership footballer at the chipper hopper and it took fully half an hour to get me up. The lads were great. Was dressed in my coat so I didn't get cold, layed a tarp on the opposite verge out of the work zone and I was taken like an elderly gent across the road and layed on it. "Don't worry Doug I've got this, I'm used to taking my grandad out, he's a bit more nimble though", "no wait just now, we'll never make it over before that bus comes in 20mins". So they left me there to stretch and see if it eased while they cracked on for a bit, stranded like some sad little turtle or a cowped ewe in full view of the road, thought a few times a car was actually going to stop or call an ambulance the looks I was getting!

However the stretching helped a bit and I made it home and our friendly physio will fit me in tomorrow but I'm not looking forward to getting moving in the morning at all.

I'm fairly confident the boss will ask if I learned anything at all from the lifting and handling course we did recently...

of course I learned, I'm just not putting it into practice. Old dogs and new tricks I suppose but I'm learning now in hindsight.

Get well soon.

I have experienced the same despite years of swimming to strengthen. It still hurts like a b-tard when I do it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Get well soon.

I have experienced the same despite years of swimming to strengthen. It still hurts like a b-tard when I do it. 

I'm regretting now not continuing the stretches that helped it last time. Of course once there was no pain I quickly got out the habit but maybe it wouldn't have helped, I did lift stupidly.

The humour has been good at least, the lads have fun about me being the oldie at work at the best of times but now I'll never hear the end of it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

I'm regretting now not continuing the stretches that helped it last time. Of course once there was no pain I quickly got out the habit but maybe it wouldn't have helped, I did lift stupidly.

The humour has been good at least, the lads have fun about me being the oldie at work at the best of times but now I'll never hear the end of it.

Team Grey Rules!   

Onwards and upwards. 

• Haha 1