Help with firewood barn

the village idiot

4 hours ago, Toad said:

Here are some pictures of our cattle and hay barn with Yorkshire boarding and the two sorts of galebreaker. The hay shed only got the galebreaker recently so the hay got a bit of rain on it and looks a bit rough on the outside.

20210215_104055.jpg

20210215_090941.jpg

20210213_164716.jpg

Excellent, thanks Toad.

Really useful to be able to see the galebreaker in situ.

Is that a fibre cement roof, and do you know how far apart you can space the 'legs' on a barn like the one in the last picture?

The hay barn is about a year old or so. I think it is 60x40ft, with three 20ft bays. I think you could go longer with the spacing, but you would want some pretty hefty purlains. That one has a coated steel roof, the older cattle building is fibre cement.

The hay shed was erected by Fowler and Gilbert. They will be back soon to extend it. Excellent company to deal with. They send a bloke out with a digger to put the holes in for the legs, he has concrete turn up, sets the anchors and surveys it and sends the data back to the office, then a few weeks later the building arrives on a lorry, a couple of days before the erectors arrive.

5 minutes ago, Toad said:

The hay barn is about a year old or so. I think it is 60x40ft, with three 20ft bays. I think you could go longer with the spacing, but you would want some pretty hefty purlains. That one has a coated steel roof, the older cattle building is fibre cement.

The hay shed was erected by Fowler and Gilbert. They will be back soon to extend it. Excellent company to deal with. They send a bloke out with a digger to put the holes in for the legs, he has concrete turn up, sets the anchors and surveys it and sends the data back to the office, then a few weeks later the building arrives on a lorry, a couple of days before the erectors arrive.

Nice one!

Fowler and Gilbert are a little far from Suffolk but I'll certainly keep them in mind based on your recommendation.

My only reservation about leaving a gap between the cladding and the concrete floor is that unless you have a very substantial roof overhang on either side, sufficient to double the width of the building, the floor would need to be cambered so it's high in the middle along it's length and falls to each side, otherwise any wind blown rain will puddle and never dry out again in winter and even if your wood is stacked on something to keep it off the floor it will sit in a permanently dank atmosphere. It could be the concrete strip was laid with a camber, but I doubt it with a woodland track, and if not, as it's been used as a roadway it is probably low in the centre where vehicles have driven over it. I'd check that very carefully before proceeding. 

If it is low in the middle you could run a couple of courses of blocks around the perimeter with airbricks in them every 6 feet. That will keep windblown rain out but allow air to circulate. 

3 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

My only reservation about leaving a gap between the cladding and the concrete floor is that unless you have a very substantial roof overhang on either side, sufficient to double the width of the building, the floor would need to be cambered so it's high in the middle along it's length and falls to each side, otherwise any wind blown rain will puddle and never dry out again in winter and even if your wood is stacked on something to keep it off the floor it will sit in a permanently dank atmosphere. It could be the concrete strip was laid with a camber, but I doubt it with a woodland track, and if not, as it's been used as a roadway it is probably low in the centre where vehicles have driven over it. I'd check that very carefully before proceeding. 

If it is low in the middle you could run a couple of courses of blocks around the perimeter with airbricks in them every 6 feet. That will keep windblown rain out but allow air to circulate. 

Thanks Gimlet, that's a good suggestion.

The roadways were put in by the British army in the 1940's. They are pretty substantial but I don't think they bothered with a camber as it was a wartime effort and probably didn't expect the roads to still be in use 80 years later.

1 minute ago, the village idiot said:

Thanks Gimlet, that's a good suggestion.

The roadways were put in by the British army in the 1940's. They are pretty substantial but I don't think they bothered with a camber as it was a wartime effort and probably didn't expect the roads to still be in use 80 years later.

If done in the 1940's probably built right and level. 

Will logs be loss or crated. 

1 hour ago, the village idiot said:

Nice one!

Fowler and Gilbert are a little far from Suffolk but I'll certainly keep them in mind based on your recommendation.

They work nationally. The guy with the digger has a caravan behind the lorry, and the erectors stayed in a hotel. I'll find out who else quoted us.