Help with firewood barn

the village idiot

10 hours ago, Toad said:

From which direction is the prevailing wind? I assume the ride you have it on is one of the ones you have shown in your thread and the vegetation is cut back for some distance either side allowing sunlight and air to move around? I think your suggestion of hardstanding alongside the long side of the building is good and load logs in from the side. Would be ideal for stock rotation, and should mean that air can penetrate easier into the shed from the open side. 

How high will it be? How high will you stack the bags of logs inside? I have been wondering about some pallet racking to allow air right around some ibcs and bags when they are indoors, but I think it's a bit overkill.

Since moving out of some helpful buildings we rented, my split logs now live with sections of our old farm shop roof on top to try to keep them dryish. I went two deep and high perpendicular to the prevailing wind to get maximum dryiness.

20201226_135443.jpg

Thanks Toad.

I think I have been sub-consciously wanting one of you to tell me that I absolutely must load from the side, so that that will be decision made!😃

We actually haven't cut back the vegetation very far on this particular ride but I think it is something that will be very worthwhile doing.

I'd like to potentially stack my vented bags 3 or maybe even 4 high. (The eaves are planned to be at 6mtrs). This may prove to be a fool's errand, we'll have to see how we go.

Pallet racking might work but I agree that it is probably overkill. Also, in my experience it doesn't much like having a tractor driven into it!😢

I built us a multi purpose barn. Our weather is fairly consistent with lots of rain from the south and west so its only clad on the south and west faces. Occasionally rain comes from other directions but not often and I do not keep anything in there than cant withstand getting occasionally wetted. It makes it very good for log drying being able to access from two side can be handy as well. Just went for steel profile but staggered hit and miss like in the picture above might be better but suspect quite a bit of rain would drive through if you get rain and gales 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Toad said:

We have a mix of Yorkshire boarding and a material called galebreaker on our buildings. The galebreaker can be removed/reerrected and we have some on roller shutter arrangements, but I think they are a bit crap.

Is the galebreaker crap or the roller shutter arrangement?

The floor will be a concrete roadway that is already in place.

I agree that putting in some skylights would be good. I'll look into it.

Starting to wonder whether I should be leaving the long side open and putting in hard standing along the 'near' side to allow side access. Could then set up a bay system which would be much easier for stock rotation etc.

1980453509_barnsketch.thumb.jpg.efd36b124f5ebdef11f3bc5bc17c4b67.jpg

4:1 gap ratio, make sure that the slays and gaps are vertical on horizontal. You will have to leave one long side open for access into the bays, will be a nightmare without. Will also speed up drying. Slope the roof down to the open side. I’ll get a picture of mine later, on a nice windy exposes spot. Gets most timbers down to 15% in 6 months

29 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Is the galebreaker crap or the roller shutter arrangement?

The roller shutter, I'll grab some photos later of both the normal and the roller shutter stuff. I think the rollers aren't helped by being quite short in our example. I wonder if you could get away with having a few metres directly under the roof and then have a lot of the rest of the sides open to get the airflow.

Another option is to have horizontal louvres. The easiest way to describe it is like old slatted cupboard doors but on a bigger scale. Using 4"-6" wide boards with a gap anything from 2"-4". You'll get 100% side coverage, the wind can go right thru & most of the driving rain should hit the diagonal slats & run down.

One of my customers gave me the idea & said he saw it in Switzerland.

You could easily go for a 3:1 or 4:1 Gap:Board ratio.

Only disadvantage is you use more timber & a bit fiddlier to do but that's nothing major.

Although you might want to watch how much wind you let in. Don't want the whole barn taking off!

Obviously you'd have the door upside down to what's in the photo.Screenshot_20210213_090515_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpeg.8eda2d5784e0a59d817cabd9ee005d85.jpeg

• Like 2