Dremel Sharpener

Paddy1000111

1 minute ago, Khriss said:

Those are the days you want one for. Ten years ago i would have given my eye teeth fr that buy, on 30"  bars  that walloped a nail. Gently whacked them  back with angle grinder then used a box full of files  😕  k

Tell me about it, it's even worse on the stihl chisel chains where the tip of the tooth gets chipped off 😔

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, mtt.tr said:

I use mine without the guide so just the stone, pretty good onsite. 

For home invest in a proper bench grinder. 

Any advice on a bench grinder? Seeing as I'm looking to go down the milling road for a bit of fun I want something that can give me a good finish so I don't have to deal with the additional nightmare of chain issues ontop of learning to mill 😂

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Do you have a compresser?

You can get little air grinders

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Rear exhaust,to prevent the chip flying nti-chip scattering, noise. Includes 10 grinder heads and built in speed regulator...

Not tried mine for sharpening yet

Is the regulator(rpm adjustment) a twist thing at the base of the handle there in the pic?

Yeah the silver part twists

Looks like a chinese copy of that one.

Had to buy a different connector also as theres different types

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Rhyas 1/4" BSP Female Thread Connector. Air line and air tool quick release connector ‘Uni Hi Flow’ type with ¼” BSP...

Edited by Stere
  • Thanks 1

Got a cordless Dremel, ok a bit costly but far better than the cheap ebay versions a couple of which I persevered with for years, for hand sharpening Dremel do a screw on angle guide which is adequate to line up with the witness marks on the chain.....it's still a file, it just goes round instead.

For the milling chains I use the Granberg grinder which won't over heat the teeth but occasionally a really bad chain may need the bench type grinder to remove a lot of material.

This company supply all sorts of diamond sharpening gear including burrs for the Dremel...decent quality not shite !

WWW.EZELAP.CO.UK

The most competitive online shop for Ezelap diamond sharpening systems. Ezelap diamond sharpening products offer top quality sharpening for knives and tools. Ezelap offer...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Got a cordless Dremel, ok a bit costly but far better than the cheap ebay versions a couple of which I persevered with for years, for hand sharpening Dremel do a screw on angle guide which is adequate to line up with the witness marks on the chain.....it's still a file, it just goes round instead.

For the milling chains I use the Granberg grinder which won't over heat the teeth but occasionally a really bad chain may need the bench type grinder to remove a lot of material.

This company supply all sorts of diamond sharpening gear including burrs for the Dremel...decent quality not shite !

WWW.EZELAP.CO.UK

The most competitive online shop for Ezelap diamond sharpening systems. Ezelap diamond sharpening products offer top quality sharpening for knives and tools. Ezelap offer...

Ideal! I already have the battery Dremel so I'm not worried about that, more just getting decent bits! I'll have a gander at the granberg sharpener

34 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Ideal! I already have the battery Dremel so I'm not worried about that, more just getting decent bits! I'll have a gander at the granberg sharpener

Yeah, if your used to the Dremel then the Granberg sharpener is a touch agricultural as it's not got the 30,000 revs and possibly not the same fine tolerances but by no means terrible, it enables you to get the angles spot on and all the teeth and gauges  identical on the milling chains, worth noting that the Granberg  1/8" or 3.2 mm burrs screw in to the arbour so Dremel bits won't fit but they do work the other way....I think Eze lap sell both.

It's also good practice with diamond cutting to lube with a little water if possible, the burrs will last longer.

At the end of the day everyone has their own preferences when it comes to tools, cheers.

Usually what you've already spent a fortune on 😁

• Like 1