How do I recognise ash?

wanstronian

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not being funny but I have read your posts.....if you are so paranoid about volume, type, price and whether you are being ripped off or not I would sell your stove and go back to gas

Best advise is buy a load, if you are not happy dont buy off that supplier again, when you do find a supplier you are happy with, stick with him

I'm not paranoid, I'm just trying to make sure I get VFM. It was a reasonable question. If it's a problem for you, don't bother to post.

All very well saying don't buy off that supplier again, I haven't got the spare cash to get it wrong.

I didn't realise that this forum was for the exclusive use of weathered woodcutters and hardened professionals. I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that it was a good place to come for advice and to learn.

I'm not paranoid, I'm just trying to make sure I get VFM. It was a reasonable question. If it's a problem for you, don't bother to post.

All very well saying don't buy off that supplier again, I haven't got the spare cash to get it wrong.

I didn't realise that this forum was for the exclusive use of weathered woodcutters and hardened professionals. I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that it was a good place to come for advice and to learn.

This forum is full them. Many of the guys on this forum spend most of their time slagging off their customers and moaning about how ignorant they are. Ho Hum. Identifying Ash..... If you are near Bristol, I will take you to the cherry wood project, where we coppice and do green wood work, all in a friendly way. if you fancy it.....pm me.

Once you have different bits of wood next to each other, you start spotting the differences. Eventually you will be able to tell by smell....(elm smells a bit like pooh/sick - oh yes).

Don't worry about the ignorant fools, there are plenty of genuine people pleased to help.

Split ash has a nice clean creamy colour but with tint of pink. Anything too pure and whiter in colour is possibly Poplar.

If you don't get all Ash then its shouldn't be problem, a mix of hardwoods is ideal for the fire.

What you don't want is a load of Poplar pretending to be ash, so the best advice I can give is for you to learn what poplar looks like. It is very similar to ash apart form it not having the pinkish hue on inside, and the bark is much tougher on young ash and even more so on old ash, whereas poplar bark tends to flake off easily.

I've been on many forums just for advice from the extperts available there and on every one there is every type of personality you could imagine, just like real life! I don't go to the pub expecting everyone to be freindly and helpful, i expect some grief, some micky taking, some lies and maybe a fight now and then.

It is a problem to me though, because as a log supplier I have to sit and explain to people over and over .

I have spent 14 years in the harshest retail eviroment known to man, dealing with up to a 1000 customers a day, all whom are penny pinching and after something for nothing.

Two rules to follow

Cheap generally means rubbish

Dear doesn't neccessarily mean your getting ripped off

By all means ask, but you have gone a bit overboard imo and it is only my opinion :001_smile:

nooooooo you never seen a ash criket bat!!!!!!!

or a willow snooker cue?

Steve if you have any of that ash you don`t like i will gladlly take off your hands so you can get some more beech

:biggrin:Will let you know, thought I would turn it into cricket bats and export to China and India as revenge for all the crap gensets they have been sending us

:biggrin:Will let you know, thought I would turn it into cricket bats and export to China and India as revenge for all the crap gensets they have been sending us

be nice to send some rubbish back as they send plenty over here!!

now i think we are heading into another topic.